Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

After stalling out the engine will not stay running unless revved

If my 2.7 2000MY 986 stalls out, something gets thrown off and the engine will not stay cranked when restarting. Even revving it up high, it will putter out regardless of the throttle application. After a couple of seconds of a 2-3k rpm rev it returns to normal. This has happened twice in the past week. I think those were the only times I have stalled (just got the car, still getting used to the clutch!) but I cannot be certain. I just remember those occasions because of the difficulty to get going again.

Thanks for the input!

Hmmmmm.... smells like a crankshaft position sensor, but hard to say.

But it could also be electrical. Perhaps battery, alternator, wiring, or even a faulty module. edit: forgot to mention fuel.

Are there any stored codes? (most places such as autozone/etc. will read codes for free).

Edited by logray

Thanks Iogray

You really helped me with a different post about the radio and ignition switch last week. I don't know if you followed up with that post but I finally solved that problem 2 nights ago. I (hesitantly) let a friend drive my car today and he stalled out on two different occasions. Neither time did the vehicle have any issues with it returning to proper idle. I guess fuse D1 may have something to do with this as well. This seems to correlate with your theory of an electrical issue. Ill post if it recurs again. Thanks again for all your help. You really know your stuff.