Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Weird noise on startup

My 2000 S 3.2 has been making weird noise on cold startup. This has been happening since I did the throttle body cleaning. It occurs only at cold starts and not when the engine is warmed up. It goes away in about half a minute. During this half minute car idle is pretty rough and then it smoothes out.

Below is the link to the audio file in m4a format. Windows media player or apple player would be able to play it.

The smoothing out in the audio file occurs around the 30th second.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzNj15TtG1g_NjU0YTlmNzMtNmNkOC00MWM0LWJkO TEtNzIxNjhiZTE4NmMx

Sounds like some serious hesitation and misfires. There are also some mechanical noises to be concerned about. Is your check engine light flashing?

If the noise sounds like it's coming from inside the engine, any noises such as these should be taken very seriously, in fact it is a good reason not to drive the car but have it inspected (flat bedded somewhere), unless you feel troubleshooting the issue further.

If the noise is coming from external to the engine you need to identify where it is coming from, with the engine cover removed of course.

The engine should only be run as long as necessary to diagnose the issue.

I would first retrace your steps to make sure you put everything back together right.

I would also scan the car's computer for trouble codes.

Good luck!

CEL was not flashing but steady for quite some time now. Durametric is reporting O2 failure. Ordered and waiting to replace. After I recorded this I replaced the spark plug tubes and the coil tubes. Took for a drive and car was very underpowered. Struggling a lot to go past 70. Disconnected the MAF and it ran like a Porsche. I might have used the wrong can to clean the MAF (thinking electronic cleaner instead of MAF). Anyway I think it's time to replace it. BTW, after the tubes replacement, this pop noises are not there anymore.