Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

NEED SERIOUS HELP....

Ok, so I had my interior trim painted and my painter dropped off my car to my house. He told me that for some reason my wipers would not stop moving. So I went on this site and found several past posts saying that it was the relay #16 that needed to be replaced as that its common problem. In the meanwhile of waiting for a new relay I pulled out the faulty one and the wipers stopped moving and all turned on manually. Well, Friday I went to my local dealership and picked up my special ordered relay and put it in my car. Well let's just say it wasn't what I expected to happen. My wipers even in the off position kept moving!!!! I pulled the new relay and i am back to square 1 . Can someone please lend any advice as now its really annoying and has me really puzzled as to why I can't figure it out... Could it be the fuse? If so what number fuse? Could it be the stalk?

Here's a DIY on how to get to all of the stalks in the steering wheel:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/91-ELEC-turn_signal_switch_-_OBC_upgrade/91-ELEC-turn_signal_switch_-_OBC_upgrade.htm

The wiper control circuit is relatively complicated.

On a 1999 model year (might apply to later years, don't know, sorry), the wiring is somewhat complex.

To the wiper motor from the stalk you have bk/wt and green

To the wiper intermittent control from the stalk you have bk/gn, bk/ye, gn/bk, and bl

From the wiper intermittent control to the intermittent control module? you have ye/re, looks like gr/bl/re to 12v, and br to a ground point

From the wipre motor you have br/wt to the wiper intermit control, bk/ye which looks to go to the fuse for the wiper (fuse C6), and br to a ground point.

If you have the headlight cleaning system there are many many more wires and motors involved.

Still if they were working fine before your shop performed the work and then after they weren't working fine I would have them pay for the repairs, perhaps take it to a shop or dealer and send the painter the bill.

Can you use any reasoning to see how they could have damaged the wiper system in any way? For example did they remove panels and disconnect wires and then perhaps damaged a wire or stalk, etc?

I don't think he did anything the painter... I am thinking that maybe the knob on the dashboard that controls the speed of the wipers is messed up or is not connected. He only removed the A/C vents, center trim and center console. Those would have nothing to do with the wipers at all. I did the relay swap already like I stated now I am trying to figure out if maybe i switch out the fuse (which number fuse is the wipers?). The headlight switch and ignition switch have been changed with in the last 8 mths. I have only owned the car since July 2011, so I know they are fairly new. I am not saying that there isn't a chance that they aren't faulty but seems unlikely. What I did notice which maybe can help figure in this matter is when my car is off and I turn the headlight switch to the right it makes like a sizzling/electronic noise like when you out on your deck and that bug zapper catches a fly or whatever and it fries it. Well that is the sound I get but only with the car off and no key in the ignition. If the key is in and the car is on no sound whatsoever. The picture I attached is the knob I am talking about that controls the wiper speeds.

post-16207-0-30405800-1330455089_thumb.j

... (which number fuse is the wipers?)....

The answer is in my previous post.

...when my car is off and I turn the headlight switch to the right it makes like a sizzling/electronic noise ...

This doesn't sound normal to me. A loose connection perhaps? Shorted wiring? Bad light switch? Bad ignition switch?

...I am thinking that maybe the knob on the dashboard that controls the speed of the wipers is messed up or is not connected...The picture I attached is the knob I am talking about that controls the wiper speeds.

You can pull the switch cover off, it just prys off from below (where the red arrow is) and see if the wiper control is connected.

Durametric should be able to read all of the cars modules and read out fault codes. Sometimes those codes can indicate problems with electrical issues. However, I can't remember any pertaining to the windshield wipers.

Unless you want to try a "common electrical bug fix" such as the ignition switch replacement, and since this is not a common issue. this problem might take some old fashioned probing with a multimeter and process of elimination.

This is a very difficult thing to diagnose over the Internet.

• Upvote 1