Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can you reprogram a 987.1 key for a 997.1 cab?

I bought a new key for my 987.1 a while back. It's one of the new style keys and I like it much more than the originals which felt pretty cheap to me. Anyways, I am selling the 987 and buying a 997.1 cab. My question is, can the 987 key be "reprogrammed" for thd new car?

The key was not cheap and I'd like to keep it for the new car.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

You should be able to get the car reprogrammed to the key with a PIWIS tester. The 9x7 procedure for reprogramming reads the radio frequency from the key head. Obviously, you will need to buy a new blade.

Great, thanks. Just to confirm, the buttons on the key head are the same for the 987 Boxster and the 997 cabriolet, right?

I would imagine the 987 key is 3-button, and the 997 Cab a 2-button, but I'm not sure. I would think that if the 3-button remote is programmed to a "2-button car" then the 3rd button would do nothing. During programming, you only press the door lock button, which would be the same for both. One would assume that the front lid button would be coded the same on both key types.

I would imagine the 987 key is 3-button, and the 997 Cab a 2-button, but I'm not sure. I would think that if the 3-button remote is programmed to a "2-button car" then the 3rd button would do nothing. During programming, you only press the door lock button, which would be the same for both. One would assume that the front lid button would be coded the same on both key types.

Spoke with a tech and he said that it's not possible to "undo" the programming of a key. He said that once it's mated to the car you cannot un-mate it. Guess I'll have to spring for a new key. :cursing:

Jason

I'm not sure that is correct. When you program the alarm module on a 9x7 for new keys, you start the process from scratch. First step is to specify the number of keys you are programming, and then you insert the first key in the ignition, switch on, press the remote button, and then remove it. Then insert the second key and repeat, until you have programmed them all. It doesn't matter what order you do it, so you are effectively programming pre-used keys to the car. For each key it reads the signals from the remote itself. It isn't like the older 9x6 system, whereby the remote code was entered manually from the tag on the new key, into one of the key registers on the alarm module.

I'm not sure that is correct. When you program the alarm module on a 9x7 for new keys, you start the process from scratch. First step is to specify the number of keys you are programming, and then you insert the first key in the ignition, switch on, press the remote button, and then remove it. Then insert the second key and repeat, until you have programmed them all. It doesn't matter what order you do it, so you are effectively programming pre-used keys to the car. For each key it reads the signals from the remote itself. It isn't like the older 9x6 system, whereby the remote code was entered manually from the tag on the new key, into one of the key registers on the alarm module.

Does that mean we don't need to input any codes into the piwis for this procedure anymore?