Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

need help to identify this noise

Hello,

My car is a 2000S with 23,000 miles on it and my 4 tires were changed when I bought the car at 17,000 miles. 18 inch Pirelli PZero.

The only way I can describe this noise is like a "wup wup wup" which gets faster as the vehicle speed increases.

It seems to be coming from the rear wheel. Also if I open my window I don't hear it as well as when the window is closed.

The noise gets a bit louder and the interval shortens when speed increases. It starts when I reach 30 mph, when I slow down below 30 mph it takes about 2 seconds for the noise to be less noticeable while the interval increases up to no noise. Also there is no vibration in the steering wheel or brake pedal.

Besides the fact that it is speed dependent, whether I accelerate, turn, brake, etc. it does not get affected.

I did jack each rear wheel up and checked if there is any free play and no there is none. No rocks inside the tire treads. When I turn it by hand there is a slight grinding noise on both wheels but more noticeable on the left one as if the rotors are touching the pads.

The other thing that might not be related is I need to pull my handbrake pretty hard if I want to immobilize the car in a hill. Could the handbrake shoes be worn out and touch something? By the way I reinflated my tires recently as the pressure had fell way below normal tire pressure, but my tires do not look worn out at all.

What could be the possible issues?

Wheel bearings, CV joints, warped rotors, bad tire, etc.

Can I potentially make things worse by driving it?

Sorry with all those questions as I know it is very difficult to troubleshoot those issues this way. But I am just hoping somebody went through the exact same problem and has an answer. As I had to rebalance my wheel when a weight came off, I now know exactely how to diagnose the issue now.

Thank you in advance for your help.

:clapping:

Edited by rbizet

I would have the wheel spin checked at a tire shop. It could be slightly bent. :)

Hello,

My car is a 2000S with 23,000 miles on it and my 4 tires were changed when I bought the car at 17,000 miles. 18 inch Pirelli PZero.

The only way I can describe this noise is like a "wup wup wup" which gets faster as the vehicle speed increases.

It seems to be coming from the rear wheel. Also if I open my window I don't hear it as well as when the window is closed.

The noise gets a bit louder and the interval shortens when speed increases. It starts when I reach 30 mph, when I slow down below 30 mph it takes about 2 seconds for the noise to be less noticeable while the interval increases up to no noise. Also there is no vibration in the steering wheel or brake pedal.

Besides the fact that it is speed dependent, whether I accelerate, turn, brake, etc. it does not get affected.

I did jack each rear wheel up and checked if there is any free play and no there is none. No rocks inside the tire treads. When I turn it by hand there is a slight grinding noise on both wheels but more noticeable on the left one as if the rotors are touching the pads.

The other thing that might not be related is I need to pull my handbrake pretty hard if I want to immobilize the car in a hill. Could the handbrake shoes be worn out and touch something? By the way I reinflated my tires recently as the pressure had fell way below normal tire pressure, but my tires do not look worn out at all.

Sorry with all those questions as I know it is very difficult to troubleshoot those issues this way. But I am just hoping somebody went through the exact same problem and has an answer. As I had to rebalance my wheel when a weight came off, I now know exactely how to diagnose the issue now.

Hello,

When I had this problem on my 02 Boxster S, it was the rear wheel ball bearings.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I had a friend of mine drive the car and he can listen to a slightly road noise coming from the rear but it is very subtle.

I got a good shop recommendation but they will probably never hear it at this stage.

The thing is I did not hit a pothole or a curb so I don't see why my wheel would get damaged.

There is no bulges, flat spot, rocks in treads, etc. in any of the tires.

The wheel bearings could go wrong with only 23,000 miles?

Holminator what type of noise did you get with your bearing going bad? I heard it has to be a clunking noise but they might be wrong. Plus when I lifted the car I tried to pull/push the wheel to check for any free play and nothing. I rotated both tires by hand and I only get a slight gridind noise of the rotors. Did you have a low mileage as well? It seems surprising to fail with a 2002 recent model. May I ask how much did it cost to fix it (part/labor)? Can you please describe the symptoms? If it is the case can I keep driving it? It is my daily driver.

I will monitor it and if it gets mor noticeable bring it to the shop.

Thanks again for your help.

:jump:

Guys,

As usual you were right on the money. :D

Just dropped by the mechanics as my friend was picking up his 944 so the guy checked it.

His diagnostic is a faulty wheel bearing so I should get the estimate tomorrow.

The issue is it is tough to be 100% sure that it is coming from the left.

I just got the estimated e-mailed and it is not cheap.

Part is 58.92 each which is pretty cheap compared to what I found on the internet but labor is 7 hours for both wheels at $ 105/hr. Total is $864 for both wheels.

Another Porsche defective part, how can a wheel bearing fail at 23,000 miles :cursing:

Anyway thanks again and I will post an update.

Edited by rbizet