Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Another vote for cleaning and oiling blower fan motor - 2006 TT

The blower fan got slower and noisier and eventually stopped. Not good in 95 degree florida weather. I ordered a replacement from Sunset at $179 but couldnt wait. I got up early yesterday morning to beat the heat, dropped the old blower assembly and tested it. Unfortunately, I supported it on my wifes neck pillow. The fan kicked in, moved with the force of the air moved and promptly cut through the pillow and blew the small polystyrene beads all over the interior of the car. It was like being inside a snow globe. Still, nothing a vacuum cleaner couldnt sort out.

On the second attempt, after 30 seconds or so running, the fan slowed and stopped so I pushed out the rubber cushions around the motor with a screwdriver, pulled the motor out, wiped off the dirt and crap, sprayed the bearings with WD40 then oiled with light machine oil before re-assembly. It has been running like a champ for 5 hrs driving so far. I will put the new one in when it gets here and keep this one for a spare. Now I need to get a replacement neck pillow just as soon as I get these beads out of my ear...

PKN.

• Moderators

Fortunate that it is the neck pillow of your wife and not yours. I would still wait to replace the blower until it fails, suggest that the old one remains good, you can sell back the new one. Clean the drain holes properly as well so there no water remains in the housing.

Interesting that it's the bushings are giving problems, every unit I have replaced it's been the brushes that have worn down. I would still install the new unit as you don't want to overload the fan speed regulator with excessive amps combined with low fan speeds. The regulator is cooled by the fan.

Just oiled mine as well. Months ago it started squealing at certain speeds. Finally, in hot weather recently, it would make noises and eventually shut down. With as much carbon as there was on mine, I think the brushes are probably wearing.