Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Which is the best or most user friendly 997.1 PCM2 iPod Kit

For those who has experiences in dealing with ipod adaptor installation to 997 gen 1 with PCM2 system. Can you help to indicate which system you will advise to use. Since the PCM system in the car already has a phone system, therefore, I guess a blue tooth is not necessory. However, I am looking to install a iPod system that can be fully operated via steering wheel and center panel. Hopefully can even display texts other than English just in case.

There seems to be a few choices and I am confuse. Which is the BEST or MOST USER FRIENDLY?

Assuming that it will be a DIY job, so ease of installation will also be my consideration.

Let's further discuss here.

Thank you

Edited by eso1968

I have the NAV-TV unit, but I'm fairly sure they all work the same way, by emulating a CD Changer. The controls take some getting used to, as it is in no way intuitive. You select CD2 to access playlists, CD3 for artists, CD4 for albums, etc. Selecting CD1 exectutes the current selection. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't too bad, but it takes a while. It also helps if you organise your playlists carefully.

I bought a used one on eBay, but if I had paid full price I would have been disappointed.

Edit: I also bought a ViseeO Bluetooth kit on eBay which is great, and having used it I would have happily paid full price.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

I recently got reply from this brand DENSION as follow:

=====================================================================================

I am looking to install an iPod kit for my 2005 997 and would like to ask the following questions.

1. What do I need?

- Dension Gateway 500 (GW51MO2) – http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/dension-gateway-500-gw51mo2porsche-911-996-mk2-911-997-boxster-ipod-iphone-interface-adaptor-p-1361.html

2. I would like to kit to allow the iPod to be controlled by the PCM system via steering wheel.

- This will do it

3. Does your system support language other than English?

- Yes – ‘Gateway 500 works like an adapter between your devices and the car, converting instructions from the car’s controls e.g. BMW iDrive or Audi MMi rotary controller, into a language that your phone or iPod can understand and respond to’

4. Is it true that I will have to disconnect my 6 disc CD from the trunk?

- Yes and No, you can retain the CD Changer if you purchase the Fibre Optic Extension Cable - http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/porsche-optical-extension-kit-for-gw500-most-foa1po1-p-5579.html

============================================================================================

It seems like to good choice as it provides certain optional kits such as optic fibre for the original CD Changer. Thought it might be additional info to all who is considering an iPod kit as well.

Thx

Edited by eso1968