Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2000 996 coupe 6 speed: oil level indicator/clock

The oil level indicator/clock in my car have stopped working ( no readings at all). When I bought the car, the readings were garbled and they became normal one day that I disconnected and then reconnected the battery. But the oil level indicator/clock failed completely a few day ago and disconnecting/re-connecting the battery did not help this time.

Any suggestion about what could be wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks

The first time taking it out takes some patience, and took me about 30 minutes. You just have to work slowly so you don't damage any of the bezels or dash. The leather dash areas are very sensitive and many people have left permanent marks on their dash!! Do not pry against any leather surface when removing the bezels. You must be very careful between the steps of pulling the cluster out and disconnecting the harnesses. It is too easy to let it rest on the dash area in front of the steering wheel. Just remember to wrap everything in thick bath towels and use several. Do not let any piece touch the dash without two layers of towel!!

These are the best step-by-step instructions I've found

There are two types of bulbs used in the instrument cluster. You cannot find them at an autoparts store and the dealer wants to charge almost $20 each to special order them!

I ordered mine from pelicanparts.com; these are the bulbs:

1.5 Watt bulb for the larger displays (This is the one you need)

You might want to just change all 3 large display bulbs while you have the cluster removed.

1.2 Watt bulb in case you need to change any of the warning indicators

Edited by texanz71