Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Looks like I have the dreaded intermix. See photos...

LN Engineering oil drain plug installed (shop manager though it was very cool).

Saw a video (10 seconds) when the mechanic drained he coolant from the car. It was like a huge waterfall! Here I was thinking it was going to be drained out via some sort of vacuum system... According to them, it was mostly water and no oil residue anywhere.

Went by the dealer this afternoon and I saw the huge jug of pink coolant sitting next to the car. They were pumping air into the system to test for pressure. I got a call later and was told that there were no leaks in the system (hence no intermix?). They were about to fill the car with fresh coolant. Couple of hours later, I am told the car will not be ready as apparently the cooling system is full of air and tons of air bubbles on the expansion tank. Supposedly these cars are notorious for this? (air in the lines after a flush?). I'm not 100% sure as to what is going on, as I thought this was all done via a closed pressurized system...

Oh well, I leave on vacation tomorrow morning and will have final report on Monday when I come back, but as it stands now, it appears that all I had was dirty water in my expansion tank and no proof of intermix. That is a VERY good thing as far as I am concerned!

Just an update: picked the car up and the expansion tank is now full of pink Porsche coolant/water (50/50 mix). They kept the car for a few days and confirmed that it does not smoke upon startup and readily admit it is most likely due to their mistake in overfilling. They claim to have taken all of the air out of the system and confirmed that in fact it will hold a vacuum and no leak. Their only observation is that they found it odd that it seemed as if no coolant was in the old water as it just seemed like plain water with no coolant mixed in. Only time will tell if there is intermix or not. I am not complaining of the fact that it looks fine now and that the car no longer smokes upon startup.

Thank you all for your advice and here is to keeping fingers crossed!

Well, my joy didn't last too long... Today I took the car for a very spirited drive (80-120mph, maybe 10 times revving all the way until it automatically shifted, ±30 minutes) and then I drove for about 10 minutes at a very conservative 40-50mph to "cool things off". Parked it for about 6 hours. Just went to run an errand and when I started the car up, smoke out of the right muffler. Because my car is parked in a dark spot I could not tell if the color was white or blueish. It was not much, but there was definitely smoke upon startup.Going to wait for the car to cool off completely so I can open up the expansion tank. IF I have intermix, would the color of the coolant change immediately or does it take days for it to turn from pink to brown? Perhaps this is the normal smoke after spirited drive? What concerns me is that it only comes from one side (right).

Yes sorry to say Intermix in sufficient quantity can develop in a very small amount of time.

That being said, sometimes the engine needs a good thrashing or two to clear out residue.

Do inspect the coolant reservior once it has cooled down, and post some pics.

Hello all! Happy to report that I just turned the car on (twice) after a ±5 hour rest and neither time did any smoke come out! I believe that the little smoke I saw earlier today was due to the "Italian Tune Up" I had done and nothing more. I also took a couple of pics of the reservoir tank and it looks identical to the way it left the dealership three days ago. See for yourself:

post-10928-0-52030000-1369361587_thumb.j

post-10928-0-75023600-1369361609_thumb.j