Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I am attempting to lower my Cayenne a bit using the Durametric Tool and Software. It works as it's supposed to work but I am not sure if the original height values are correct or if the suspension height was modified buy the previous owner. The original values for the front wheels were read at "190" and for the rear at "237" using the Durametric software.

Does anyone know if these values are the original correct "Normal" height values and if so, what is the maximum permissible lowering value? I have tried a few settings lower than these numbers, such as "180" for the front and "227" for the rear and I get an error saying that these values are "Not Permissible"

Any help identifying the normal and permissible Durametric values would be appreciated.

Thanks

2004 Cayenne Turbo

The software is not what is restricting the value entered. The value you enter are sent to the control module and the response that is displayed is the control modules response.

190 and 237 sounds close to normal values. The level control system will only accept new values that are plausible in relation to the height sensors. If you enter a value that is too far from what the height sensor detects it will be rejected by the control module. I do not remember the threshold for what the module will accept but I think it is less then 20mm. To lower the vehicle you would measure the values you have then enter a value that is higher then what you measured. You will have to actually measure the vehicle or the values you enter will be too far off to be accepted. You will have to play with it a bit to get the height you want. Also note that as soon as you start the adaptation process you must complete it or you will have a level control warning go off in your instrument cluster.

There is also a coding option where you can set up to 25mm higher or lower. Once the coding option is changed the adaptation will need to be run again.

It has been a couple years since I have done one but if you have trouble let me know and I can look for my notes on it.

• Upvote 1

Ok, I found my notes, but as I recall the coding notes should show up in the coding screen in Durametric. This module is coded the VAG was where the coding is a numeric value. When you go into the coding screen you should see a number that is your current coding value. You should make a note of it in case you want to change it back to the stock value later. The default number should be something like 15511

Here is what is shown in the help display in Durametric:

?xxxx: Specifies how the headlight vertical aim is controlled

+1 = Headlight aim is controlled by level sensor as part of the level control system+2 = Headlight aim is partially controlled by level control and uses additional external sensor

x?xxx: Height adjustment of front wheels

+0 = -25mm+1 = -20mm+2 = -15mm+3 = -10mm+4 = -5mm+5 = Standard setting+6 = +5mm+7 = +10mm+8 = +15mm+9 = +20mm+10 = +25mm

xx?xx: Height adjustment of rear wheels

+0 = -25mm+1 = -20mm+2 = -15mm+3 = -10mm+4 = -5mm+5 = Standard setting+6 = +5mm+7 = +10mm+8 = +15mm+9 = +20mm+10 = +25mm

xxx?x: Vehicle Type

+0 = Bentley+1 = Porsche+2 = Phaeton

xxxx?: Country coding (usually set to 0 even in USA)

+00 = No additional choices+0 = ROW+1 = USA

So if your stock setting was 15511 this would mean your car is:

1(first digit) headlight airm is control by level sensor as part of the level control system

5 Standard height setting in front wheels

5 Standard height setting in rear wheels

1 for Porsche

1 for USA

In order to change to a lower setting you are going to change the second and third digits to the new value of -25mm or whatever height you want to select. so if you changed the coding to 10011 this would leave the other options the same and set the coding to a 25mm lower for both front and rear axle.

After you make the change to the coding go back and run the adaptation again. This time do not try to trick it by inputting different values yet. Just measure the real values from the vehicle and enter them into the software as directed. After this the car should be 25mm lower then before. If you want to go lower still you will then have to trick the software. Start the adaptation again and this time take the measured values you have and add 10mm to them. This will make your ride height at 35mm lower then stock. Now while a lot of people that do this and it is a common mod I am not sure it is a good idea. When I did this on my Cayenne a few years ago I had some problems with the system and ended up having to re-adapt the system several times to get it to not set off a warning.

• Upvote 1

I am not familiar with the Durametric system, but I did lower my brother's Cayenne using PIWIS. We went through the Calibration routine, measuring the vehicle height at all four points. When we entered the values, we added 40mm to each value to fool the system into thinnking it was 40mm higher than it actually was. When it finished the routine the car was 40mm lower than before.

We found that 40mm was about as far as we could go. Any further and the suspension would bottom out under heavy cornering.

Most of the 2003-2010 Cayenne control modules use VW/Audi (VAG) type of functions. The VAG functions are totally different then the other Porsche control modules. The VAG special functions are Adaptation, Basic Settings, output tests, and coding. Not all control modules support all of these special functions but Durametric offers support to all of the functions that are supported by the control module. All of these functions are available to all versions of Durametric (Basic, Enthusiast, Professional). These functions were implemented in a way that is similar to the VW factory system instead of the Porsche factory systems. The reasons for this is that it gives the users capabilities beyond that of the Porsche factory tool. For example, if you wanted to run the throttle body adaptation. This is sometimes needed if a car has been tuned. This option does not exist in the PIWIS. But if you go into Durametric and select Basic Settings on the DME, then enter channel 60. It will run the throttle body adaptation. There is a wealth of diagnostic knowledge out there for VAG cars. By exposing these modules with a VAG type interface users can perform many operations that are not documented or supported with the Porsche factory tool. The only control module with significant coding in the Cayenne that uses Porsche specific coding and would not be supported by the enthusiast version is the CAN gateway on 2005-2010 cars.

• 7 years later...

I tried using VCDS to calibrate suspension, however i'm having an issue with access code. 

Default code for VW vehicles is 31564 = Adaptation enabling (e.g. Calibration)

However if code is entered in VAG number: 7L0 907 553 E 

Controller comes up with an error message.

VCDS is used with extension cable where pins 3,7,15 were bridged and I'm able to talk to all modules.

Does anyone knows Porsche access code for enabling calibration that is used in Durametric or any other software out there?

Thanks

I can't say if VCDS will read it, but to get in to the level control calibration, you have to enter the security code which you read out from Actual Values.  I found the code changes every time you switch the ignition on and off, so you need to read it out and make a note of it before entering the calibration routine.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

Ok I think that I understand now, in my case Bosh ME7.1.1 is generating new security code every time ignition is turned ON.

VCDS can't read actual value but I think that FVDI 2018 ABRITES Commander for Porsche V4.1 can do it's magic, as it supports ECU adaptation for ME7.1.1

I'll give it a go as on ebay comes with free shipping and free return in case that doesn't work...

If code is successfully read I can switch dongles as soon as I get security code and continue with VCDS.... In case that there is any issues with ARBITES software...

At least that's the plan for now.