Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Broken connector in turn signal housing

Well my turn signal stopped working again today, so I was going to pull it out again and buff up the connectors to remove the oxidation. I met more resistance when pushing in and turning the turn signal and when I pulled it out of the headlight housing, one of the little metal connectors with the wire was attached to the pod that I pulled out. Upon further inspection, the ring that is internal to the housing that holds the light in seems loose and broken at the connector. Is there a way to repair that without replacing the entire headlight housing? I was puzzling over it for a bit but couldn't find an easy way to remove it and replace it, but if there is a way I'm all ears.

Roy, that might be helpful. I think we might be talking about the same contact. This is one of the two that is part of the headlight housing. How did you pull the headlight housing apart to do the soldering or did you do it somehow without doing that?

If I can take apart the housing enough to fix or replace just the retention ring then I'm sure I can fix it.

But the retention ring that it clips into was a single piece when you pulled the contact out to soldier the wire into it. I think I'm going to have to get creative or bite the bullet and add another housing to all the repairs that I have incurred over the past month.

• 5 weeks later...

The exact same thing happend to me yesterday afternoon. I was simply trying to replace the turn signal bulb when the plug felt "funny" coming out. The plastic tabs that hold the round carrier (with metal leads/contacts) to the housing broke allowing the round carrier to move fore and aft inside the housing. After trying fruitlessly to secure the carrier in place I took the car to my dealer and to my delight they were able to secure the round carrier in place well enough to seat the the bulb. So I guess I am eventually out the 700 bucks or so for a used head light assembly. But for now I am good.

Another potential option is to build a pigtail off from the plug and splice into the brown and black leads within the housing. The bulb should stay in place with just the rubber gasket in place. Essentially you would build in about 6 inches of pigtails allowing enough slack to replace the bulb in the future. There is plenty of extra dead space in the main light assembly behind the daytime running lights/flash to pass lights.

I think this is the part number for the broken ring 95563123300. I see no real way to replace it with out cracking into the light assembly.

• 1 month later...

just pull it out and solder it. there is no way to spend $1100 for a tiny connector.

worse case if you really want a new headlight , there are plenty of dealer/retailers online and you could get one side for like $700

• 1 year later...

Same issue happened on my 05 Cayenne .. Tip don't change a burned out bulb in -15 like I did .. Plastic was way to brittle ... 

Anyway .... I was going to attach two wires from the contacts to resolve the issue but what I did first and still seems to be working great was to simply hot glue the contact that broke back into place. What I did first was place a dab of glue in the cavity where it broke and let it dry for a minute so the contact when reinstalled would be at the original height. I then placed a dab of hot glue on the bottom of the contact and placed it back into it's original position holding it in place with a dental pick until the glue dried... and so far so good !!

Another tip is use good hot glue 3m or Bostich not the dollar store crap ..I used and like the Bostich dark yellow glue .. It's super strong and withstands cold weather ... You can get it at the home Depot ! beats $$$ for a new headlamp and that annoying !