Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

RMS leak in rerplacement engine

:clapping: Well Ive just searched this site back to 2002. Just when Scouser had his very first leak up to Rob in WA.

I may be the first person to have a leak in a replacement engine. I think I should be made a life member of the RMS Club.

I have a 996 c4 2002. First leak 10K then 32K then 38K then 45K then 45.5K. At which point my service manager refused to replace another seal as the last replacement leaked after 500 Km. SOOOO I got a new (replacement engine). This was even though the tool fitted.

Well I decided based on experience I better put at least 20K on the clock before the 12 month warrenty runs out and low and behold at 10K a massive leak. Not just the little drips like before.

Im now told about the "BOLT PROBLEM" this was never addressed on my other leaks. Maybe my first engine never had a RMS leak at all but it was the bolts.

On my original engine the first leak I had was just a drip or two then for a month or so nothing then another drip or two. I actually wish now I had just lived with it as things just are getting worse.

I hate the fact I dont have the original engine in my car.

My dealer is being very helpful and will warrent the motor for another 12 months from now so now I have the horrible task of driving another 20K at least as soon as possible. Actually my car has just about never been out of warrenty.

I also have another question for anyone. Im told my clutch is nearly worn out and I was told it would be wise to replace it not while the gear box is out. My reply to that of course was I can allways do it when the next Seal fails! the question is how long should a clutch last. Ive done 58,000 kms now is that normal (that I think about 35000 mls)??????

Anyone know ?

• Moderators

You are not the first person with a replacement engine and the replacement leaked.

If you have the original clutch with 35,000 miles then you might as well replace it since it is not a warranty item - normal wear and tear like tires or brake pads. Since the transmission and clutch has to come out if the seal needs to be replaced or something else, then your cost for a new clutch is the price of the parts. How long a clutch lasts depends on how you drive the car.

Your dealer can put a dye in the oil and determine the source of an oil leak.

Why HATE that you have a replaced engine ???

A replaced engine includes almost everything, It is not like on other cars where they only change parts of the engine and then call it a new or replaced engine.

My car had a new engine because because of a suddenly main seal leak which blew the engine. :drive:

Anyway I drive around in a 80.000 km car with a 40.000 km engine now. I look at it this way. I just got 40.000 km for free. :cheers:

Don´t be sade about the replaced engine, some Porsche people even says they are much better compared to the "normal" engine because they are sampled on Porsches engeniring place ;)

No point placing dye in tthe Oil tool Pants as there was so much of it this time. I had just returned from a 3000km non stop run. I think the seal went at the beginning as there was so much oil inside the case (I saw it myself).

P.Viby I hate the fact I have a different engine (even thought mine was also replaced at 46,000km) as now no one seems to want to buy the car. people who are not technically savvy are scared off when you say oh it has a new motor. They get the impression something is wrong with the car(they are right of course). Also as far as collecting cars matching numbers is important.

Hmm I must say I still don´t get it. Unless you are planning on keeping it as a collector item for many many years, but for that there are build way to many 996 models.

Anyway I like the fact that I have an allmost new engine in the car even it has run 80.000 km.

Sorry to hear the news.... part of the Porsche experience it seems.

Scousers has gone again btw - this one last 100 miles. So much for the latest seal design, fitting them dry and the blue bolts !

Jeezus! Sorry to hear that johnnys. It's a bummer but I can't say I am not suprised. I am driving around on my 7th seal now and its leaking. Reading this thread and P.viby's comments worries me to no end. There is a lot of people who think this RMS problem is just all hooha and nothing to worry about. Many say just drive it with the oil leak and stop worrying. That's what I intend to "try" to do. But having read this thread it opens up for real that the RMS can and does cause engine failure. That realy worries me and it should worry every one. Your lucky as your in warranty. I am not. Not sure I will sleep well tonight :(

And I am taking my 996 on a 3000+ mile trip to Northern Spain in May with PCGB. I better maker certain my breakdown relay insurance is up to date!

Scoucer have you had the 4 crankcase bolts and 3 intermediate bolts replaced ????

m96 03 66 4 11022 and m96 03 68 4 02138

This was suggested in March 9 2004,

My dealer now says this may have been the problem with my first motor all along. This is what they are now tring on my replacement motor.

Hmm I must say I still don´t get it. Unless you are planning on keeping it as a collector item for many many years, but for that there are build way to many 996 models.

Anyway I like the fact that I have an allmost new engine in the car even it has run 80.000 km.

Do you know or were you told or were you give a warrenty on your new engine ?

Yup, I have had the blue bolts fitted and a new IMS to boot.

Still it leaks.

They have now told me that they "will not" fit any more RMS' to this engine. They said the only fix is to replace the engine. However they want me to pay 50% of costs which equates to £4,700 = aprox $10,000 to me. I have just paid for a new gearbox too :(

****. Well the new engine could well leak as well.

If you leak is just a few drips then,(as I said earlier I wish I had just left my first drip as It would go away and then come back), its ok to live with and if your motor blows then get a new motor. or trade the car with them.

That is one option.

Or what I would do, is to force them to court by getting them to replace the engine then not paying them. This would force them to take you to court and then you could have the whole issue heard and made very public. You could counter sue them and porsche as well. Dont use a lawyer just do it your self its easy. If the first seal was done under warranty then the job was never completed. This means they have to keep at it till its done. This would be covered by some law. Just dont sign anything when you agree to having a new engine. Its the same principle they are working under by selling you a faulty car then not fixing/replacing it.

The Engine on my car that blew was not due to the RMS. It is printed in my service manual that it is done by Porsche and I saw the service slip when I bought the car.

Don´t worry Scouser, sleep tight :-)

Mr P.Viby

Did you get a warranty on your new engine.

Your last post is hard for me to understand. Did you buy the car with the new engine in it ? I assumed you owned the car when it blew ? yes ? no ?

Scouser  

Why did you need a new gear box?

Because it was noisy as hell and whined in every gear. But it never missed or jumped a gear. Just noisy. The tech who replaced it said it was the noisiest gearbox he had ever heard in 25 years as a mechanic. He reckons I was lucky that it worked at all!

The gearbox problem was spotted when the 1st RMS was done at 28,000 miles.

Entire powerdrive system knackered at 28,000 miles. Not bad for £60,000 worth of German engineering hey ;)

Edited by Scouser

• 2 weeks later...

Well I must say my dealer (car dealer that is) is realy sticking buy me through this.

I contacted the CEO and the porsche rep and they have issued me with a 12 month warranty after this last repare which I have an option to extent for basicllay as long as I wish. I am very happy with this.

Thanks to Team European WGTN NZ.

• Moderators

At the rate you are going your car may never be out of warranty.

Curious to know what parts were replaced if you have that information.

Will be interesting to see what happens if the second seal on your replacement engine leaks. I bet the tool fit when your most recent seal was put in.

Tool Pants,

Sorry it took so long replying my email notification wasnt working,

Yes the tool did fit,

They replaced the RMS. not the IMS(intermidiate shaft seal) and the set of three intermediate bolts (m96 03 68 4 02138) and the set of four crankcase bolts (m96 03 664 1022).

So far so good ive done 3000 km and am about to go on another 3000km drive next week. The first leak happened at 10,000km the same as my first engine and the second on my first engine at 32,000 so I plan to drive as much as possible.

• Moderators

I thought the tool would fit. I talked to 2 of the mechanics at my dealership and they said they never worked on a car when the tool did not fit and the car was a leaker, and a repeat leaker.

If I remember correctly, it fit Berny's car and it leaks after the 6th replacement.

Correct. The tool fits prefectly. Also had all the blue replaced with the blue ones. Also had the IMS done.....and also had a replacement gearbox to boot........still she leaks at RMS No. 7.

I have to to live with the fact that my 996 will always be a bleader ;)

• 1 month later...

make sure your dealer is fitting the old rms seal not the new one. part number ends in 40 new is 41.

My car has stopped leaking after fitment of the old seal, seems the new one with teflon coating leaks, and Porsche AG have been advised