Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

C4SFrontcV.movHello Renntech,

I have tried to identify clunks and rattle on my C4S

After having changed everything in the front I still get a rattle when traveling at low speed

Here is the list of what I changed:

_Suspension, Top bushing, suspension bearing,

_inner and outer steering tie rods, all control arms, steering rack,

_sway bar bushing, say bar links

The only part that is not new are the CV joints which to me have an abnormal play, not when turning it but pushing and pulling along the shaft as per attached video

The car is now 85 000 Miles

Could you tell me if this is normal?

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Since I started to learn about CV joints ( see previous post), I tested the rear ones too as I get a light "click" whenever I give gas

When I move the wheel and put my hand on the inner CV joint, I do fell that the noise comes from the joint but the differential is just behind and it is not very clear, the differential is new as I got my tiptronic changed recently, also there seems to be no play between the joint and the shaft, see attached video

Do you think it is time to renew them, my car is 85 000 Miles, or is this normal

The other side seem to be also making noise but then again, the differential makes noise on the other side and it is not obvious to locate the culprit

I would have believed that if I make the shaft slide the noise would have changed, but it keeps on being the same, so maybe this is just the differential or maybe this is just the normal noise of CV joints?

Let me know what you think about the mileage and 911 CV joints.

Thanks

C4SCVrear.mov

• Moderators

Your post #1: the cardan shafts have Always slack in the longitudinal direction, otherwise the wheels can not go up and down, so normal. I can not open the video in post #2, no permission according the forum.

Thanks RFM, I know about the longitudinal move on the rear ones ( about 3 to 4 cm move), but on the AWD 911 the front CV hardly have play

The left one would have 1 mm where as the right side would have around 5mm

The difference with the rear is that you hear this "Clonck Clonck" everytime you move the CV shaft, on the rear ones you feel that the movement is dampened by grease in the CV joint, it must be a different system

Hence my question: is this normal ?

My rear potential CV issue is all different, I hear a slight clonk when I give gas, the same noise can be reproduced when I lift up the car, now I don't know if this would be the differential or not

I will try to post again the video

• Moderators

The noise seems to come more from the differential which is not abnormal in such a short fort and back movement of the wheels. It remains difficult from behind a PC screen to Judge, even with video, the lack of physical contact with the car plays a not insignificant role. I would go with an experienced technician for a second opinion if i were you.

• 1 month later...

Hi Brendel,

This is the drivetrain lash I refer to in another thread. My car does exactly the same thing and it only has 14,000 miles on it. The Porsche tech says this is normal or rather that the car is performing to Porsche spec I am 95 percent certain that it emanates from the transaxle,