Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rattling Headliner Support?

I have lately developed a rattling noise in the headliner of my 996, it appears to be coming from a flexible support rod that is located just behind the aft portion of the sun roof opening. Every time I hit a bump in the road it starts this obnoxious rattling sound and will not stop until I reach back with my hand and push up on it slightly. Mind you I have the sun roof closed when this occurs. I believe that I will have to have the headliner removed to get to this support. Have any of you out their had this issue with your 996 Carrera's?

I have had a very annoying rattle/creak too. I haven't been brave enough to tackle the removal. I researched and decided to live with the rattle than have to deal with a torn or damaged headliner, broken clips, or panels. You have to consider that the vinyl is 14+ years old.

Sorry to post from another forum but this is the best pictured reference I was able to find while doing my research. If you look at the picture after bullet #7 in the post (finger pointing to clip with metal rod out of the pocket), you can see how the rod fits into the plastic pocket. Some people have been able to tug at the rod towards the front of the car without the headliner removal and snap it back into place. Unfortunately, mine seems to be in the pocket but creaking constantly.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/736939-diy-fixing-headliner-rattles.html

XMAC,

Thanks for the great post, much appreciated. I have a cloth material head liner in my Carrera and believe that I am going to let my family friend at the auto body shop deal with this issue. They said it is a piece of cake for them to do this. Going to have a "boomerang" Stainless Steel front bumper skid plate protector installed at the same time to protect my new bumper from low driveways and the like.

Bought this car used and have been going through it installing new Bilstein shocks, Michelin tires, wheels refinished, brake fluid changed out, Tiptronic tranny fluid changed out, spark plugs changed (not a fun job), new coils when spark plugs changed out, v-belt and idler pulleys new, LN Spin on oil filter adapter and LN magnetic oil plug as well. I still need to pull the alternator as I have a cracked oil fill tube and cannot get to the two Torx screws that hold the tube to the top of the engine block, should be fun! I have found the car pretty straight forward to work on but think I will leave the headliner to the autobody folks. I really have never liked working on cars but find working on the Porsche very rewarding and gives me good piece of mind knowing that the work was done to my satisfaction.

Thanks,

Brad

I too have found the 996 to be very easy to work on. Funny thing is that I am perfectly comfortable pulling an engine but stupid things like headliners give me the willies. If you are going to pull the alternator, I would highly recommend doing the air oil separator at the same time. A bunch more work but worth doing. Here's a link to the procedure I followed:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/238-air-oil-separator-replacement-aos/

If by chance you can take and post pictures when they do the headliner work, that would be helpful.

• 3 weeks later...