Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster S 987.1 Won't Start - Does not seem to recognize key is in

Usually over in the 997 Turbo Forums..But my wife's Boxster S has presented a strange issue I am hoping the experts on this forum can assist with....

So car is tucked away for winter, but I keep it on a maintainer in a warm garage and start it and move it every few weeks or so...Last time was about 3 weeks ago...started it, backed it out, let it run for a bit...revved it, pulled it in and parked and put the cover and maintainer back on.

Went to start it today and NOTHING....When I put the key in the ignition I do not here the normal clicking and engagement of the dash. Tried the other key..NOTHING...changed key battery...NOTHING....Used key to pop frunk and trunk and worked fine...radio on, all lights on...opened top latch and windows rolled down partially as expected....

Hooked up my Durametric pro cable and since it does not know it is on...the cable is not live. Checked the fuses in the driver rear trunk of the car and the connections...all looked good. Checked all the fuses in the front panel...all look good. Disconnected battery and shorted Pos & neg for 10 minutes (Porsche mechanic taight me that....to discharge all the modules/memory)....Reconnected....NOTHING. Put a charger on with digital readout....says 13.2 voltss and 95%+ charge..Tried jumping it...NOTHING.

IT IS DEAD??? I have read about the ignition barrell and/or immobilizer, but not sure where or how to test that, and not looking to start replacing parts guessing if possible. Also, I think the keys have to be recoded with PIWIS if I change the ignition switch...

So any ideas will be appreciated! I am at a loss and cannot even diagnose the issue with no live OBDII...I also jiggled the key and tapped etc on the cyclinder but never recognized it...Also ensured the clutch switch under the dash was seemingly working???confused.gifmad.gif

Thanks in advance!

Follow up to help others perhaps..

OK...I had time today so....

I went through every single fuse in all locations and they were all good. NOTHING Different
I took the back end apart and got to the DME and disconnected every plug....waited and connected again. NOTHING Different...Still would not see the key.
I jacked around with the key(s), switched ignition on and off, banged the steering wheel, banged the
lock cyclinder...NOTHING.

I decided to remove the seat, and pull out the immobilizer Part# 997.618.260.04 for those interested...
I umplugged it and took it apart and just blew on it and cleaned it...put it back together and reconnected it....and BINGO...Car started right up...recognized the key and all was good!. I connected my Durametric Pro cable... read out all the faults, created a log file and cleaered everything...Also went through the coding feature and made certain all settings looked correct and changed a few...then reset the DME with the tool....Have started and stopped it a dozen times and no issues.

When it warms up out, I may take it to the dealer and have a new module installed so my wife is not left stranded....I will let them do it, as I think they have to code the keys and I do not see that function in the Durametric coding??

Anyway....I wiped it down and put it away...Will likely start it more often now to hopefully avoid this drama again :)

Thanks to all those that had suggestions...and even those that read it and wished they did :)

I attached a couple of photos just for interest in what they look like etc....

Hope this helps!

DC

post-7561-0-41587300-1389567028_thumb.jp

post-7561-0-39199300-1389567037_thumb.jp

post-7561-0-73882200-1389567044_thumb.jp

post-7561-0-60829400-1389567052_thumb.jp