Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Problem with steering wheel removal

I'm trying to remove my airbag unit using a T30 allen wrench. It's one of those jobs with the multiple size fold out shafts. I can feel the bit locking into the bolt but I can't seem to break the bolt loose for the life of me given the leverage I can get on that unit. I guess my questions are:

are these normally supposed to be that tight? (original wheel)

and

is a T30 the right bit? why do I keep reading about a T27? The new wheel I'm putting on has T30 bolts.

I'm going to look for a T30 with a socket drive and a 3-4" shaft that I can get more leverage on but I'm a little worried given how tight these seem to be.

Am I missing anything here?

thanks

Rich

Edited by RD996

Before working on any SRS system (Airbag) remove the negative terminal side on the battery and wait at least 15 minutes for the capacitor to fully bleed off power. If your not comfortable working on complex electrical components. I would leave it to a professional that works on airbag systems. With that said see below.

You need a T30 Torx bit that is 3" in length. and a 1/4"drive ratchet. You have to fineness the bit in to the fastener and carefully get it out without stripping the head. On Porsche steering wheels the bit will be on a slight angle and you need to be sure you have seated it all the way to the fastener. Also Do not ever use a impact driver on any SRS system (Airbag)!! Also do not get with in 11 1/2" of the airbag as it can really hurt or even kill you at that distance. With the proper tools it will break it loose.

post-29211-0-62816300-1390869657_thumb.j post-29211-0-91606100-1390869670_thumb.j

I would not recommend turning the fastener clockwise as it will tighten and a possibility of shearing it off. If you use the proper tools you will not have any issues.

Yeah, sounds confusing but, if you turning the torx screw driver clockwise from the driver's seat, the torx bit is actually facing the driver and so you are turning the screw counter clockwise and loosening it.

If you are using a ratchet that makes it easier.

Edited by kbrandsma

Thanks everyone, I did get them out with a ½" drive T30 bit from Harbor Freight. Once I got a little leverage they weren't that bad. New wheel is in and I really like it. It's the RAID wheel with paddles from Gert / Carnewal.

Thanks everyone, I did get them out with a ½" drive T30 bit from Harbor Freight. Once I got a little leverage they weren't that bad. New wheel is in and I really like it. It's the RAID wheel with paddles from Gert / Carnewal.

Congrats! Nice mod and upgrade! :drive: