Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Recovering Dopr Panels and Dash in Leather

I am the new owner of a 15k mile 1999 Boxster. It is Guards Red with a beige interior. I like the look of the all leather interiors, but unfortunately, mine is not. Has anyone attempted to recover the door panels and dash in leather? It does not look like an easy task.

For MY99, I believe Boxster Red was the only full leather interior option. Consider 'replacing' instead of 'recovering', you can buy door panels or dash in good condition from ebay. Cheaper & Easier.

Congrats on your near new Boxster.

• 3 weeks later...
For MY99, I believe Boxster Red was the only full leather interior option. Consider 'replacing' instead of 'recovering', you can buy door panels or dash in good condition from ebay. Cheaper & Easier.

All standard interior colors (black and Savannah beige) were available in leather for MY1999.

I agree - replacing panels is the way to go, unless you have a trusted connection with an upholstery shop 'south of the border' even then, getting the car there, keeping it safe etc. adds to the complexity and the cost.

There is an occasional - full leather dash- offered on eBay. It's a big job.

I bought my 99 when new car inventories were tight, choice was low and I had intended to add leather but, the standard 'dimpled' interior has its own classic look and requires minimal care. You could say it has 'grown on me'.

Minimal care=wiping down with a wet cloth and 4x per year treatment with Vinylex and Aerospace 303 (my top is down nearly year round but the car is normally garaged and not parked in the sun for long periods). There is no noticeable degradation of the dash.