Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil drops in throttle body

I cleaned the throttle body a few weeks ago and noticed oil deposits as well as a few drops. I have no idea when this area was last cleaned but I understand that some oil is not abnormal.

Today I cleaned it again because I was in there to clean the MAF sensor and noticed the oil drop in the picture below. Reason for concern?post-94366-139804721259_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have an original AOS from 2002. I'm not seeing large puffs of blue/white smoke.

Edited by GromitInWA

I have a fairly new AOS and still see a light amount of oil in the intake plenum. You don't need to see giant puffs of smoke to know that with 12+ years of time in service that it is a good time to replace it.

Thanks. Very true about time in service but it is a question of prioritisation.

Good volley. There are certainly several items I would like to take care of on my car that I haven't, so I hear you. As you say, it is not an abnormal finding. I am sure you could run with your existing AOS for thousands more miles and be just fine too.

I have to say that before my AOS change, there was heavy oiling of my plenum, at least what could be cleaned inside the "T" section where the throttle body is attached. I removed my throttle body a few days ago after a little over 14 months of running with a new AOS and it was just a very light film coating. I replaced the AOS preventatively since I was trying to avoid a "wait until it fails" where it may quietly damage cats and/or O2 sensors and worst case chocolate milkshake coolant surprise.