Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Steering Wheel Rattle

<_< Something started rattling in my steering wheel today. It sounds like something has come loose and you can hear it rattle around when the wheel is turned. Any ideas? How hard is it to take the wheel off? Is there a DIY for this?

Thanks for any advice :thumbup:

Tim

Alrighty. Not getting much love here ;-)

Anyway, my plan is to just remove the airbag unit and see what's loose. I have some DIY instructions for replacing the steering wheel. Anyone care to contribute any tips? Anything? Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks,

Tim

<_< Something started rattling in my steering wheel today. It sounds like something has come loose and you can hear it rattle around when the wheel is turned. Any ideas? How hard is it to take the wheel off? Is there a DIY for this?

Is it a rattle or a clicking noise? Can you describe the sound a little more...

Thx...

Definite rattle. Imagine if you put a screw or something in a hard plastic cup and rolled it around. Small wheel turns don't result in any noise but if I turn the wheel substantially (like when turning a 90 degree corner) then you hear it sliding around.

I really appreciate any and all ideas as the noise is pretty annoying.

Edited by ekename

It might be your clock spring connector to the airbag that may have come loose. You might want to check with Loren to see if he has a schematic. Removing a steering wheel for me was a complicated affair.

One thing...check to see if you hear the sound when the engine is off. While the car is in the garage move the steering wheel back and forth. If you hear then, I'd say one of the metal connects has come loose.

When was the last time you had any work done on the front stut mounts. When pieces of that assembly go bad, you can hear funny sounds in the steering wheel area.

I also think there is a tech bulletin on that particular problem. Take a look

Thanks! I can hear it when the engine is off if I turn the wheel vigourously. I've never had any work done to the struts but I'm pretty sure that something is loose in the steering wheel. I'm going to take it apart in a week or so (I'm leaving for a crusie on Saturday and I'm out of town on business now). I'll repost and let y'all know what I find.

Tim