Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear Camera installation for 2006 Cayenne

Hello All,

Can anyone out there walk me through the steps on installing a rear view camera for my 2006 Cayenne?  I purchased an aftermarket camera unit from Ebay that fits into the licence plate light.  

I am in southern California and I am willing to make it worthwhile to anyone who can help me out.

Thanks

Yes I am going to upgrade to the new Dynavin N6.  Tired of the old outdated PCM 2.1, which has the capability of back up camera but the local stealer is not willing to code the AV button for free.  They want $189 to just enable the rear view camera in the PCM 2.1 system.  

Wiring setup for most back-up cameras:

* Run a lead from the Dynavin Head Unit (HU) to the rear of the vehicle. Usually a yellow RCA Connector (may also have a white RCA Connector which is audio that is not needed).

* Run a lead off the positive reverse light in the rear of the vehicle to the camera (usually red wire on the camera.)

* Connect the lead from the HU the lead to the camera (usually yellow RCA to yellow RCA.)

* Use the backup light ground for the camera (This is usually a black wire to camera.)

IMPORTANT!!!

Don't reverse the red and black wires as you will cause serious damage to your backup camera that will not be covered by any warranty.

When you put the vehicle in reverse, the HU will briefly show the PDC screen, then automatically switches to the camera feed. When you take it out of reverse the HU will resume ordinary operation. You can also manually turn on the camera moving forward by turning it on with the HU. I use the camera this way most of the time as it removes all of the blind spots that the rearview mirror misses.

Edited by kbrandsma

Yes, your going to need to remove the rear door inside back panel and route your wire from license through the top and then up to the front.

Here is a video that should help. It's a different model camera to a different HU but does shows one way to route your wire. The model year is not a 2006 but the process should be similar.

Edited by kbrandsma

Ok that's what I had thought as well.  I did see the video in it is quite informative.   One other question.   I know the GPS antenna is up in the rear spoiler but where does it connect up front near the head unit?  Jeff from Dynavin stated that it is underneath or near the glove compartment.  Can you please confirm?  

By the way, have you upgraded your PCM as well?

Thanks again for your help.

Still waiting for the Dynavin unit. Let me ask you about your mic placement. Where is a good place to put it. Previously with my mObridge unit I had it on the A pillar. People always complained that they could not hear me well so I am seeking a new spot. In my BMW GT the mic is embedded in the ceiling and people can't tell that I am using a Bluetooth connection. Of course it's a 2013 model.

Best to run it from HU under dash on passenger's side over glove box and up the A pillar. If you look at the side of your dash with the front passenger door open there will be a piece that pops off and fish wire up the A pillar.  There will be a torx screw at the top of the A pillar, remove the torx screw and pull pillar away but not out. and continue to route the mic wire to the front of the headliner and to the center console.

• 2 weeks later...