Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cayenne PCM Head Unit Antenna Connections

I'm investigating a problem with my 2004 Cayenne PCM with external DVD navigation unit. I had a problem with the original one I have now is the warranty replacement.

I found the antenna in the roof spoiler and noted that the connection to the antenna is colour coded with blue. When I check the head unit I have two antenna connections. One Black and and One Curry coloured.

I have been unable to check the rear of the DVD navigation unit under the seat to see if there is one going in there which is the blue one.

I received from the dealer the PCM 2.1 update and 2009 Sat Nav Disk but believe I'm missing the Sat Nav unit update disk (from reading postings). Could this be causing the problem with the GPS Info not showing even though the CD maps loads OK. Just does't show GPS Info.

My other question is what are the other antenna connections that are circled in the attached image?

Many thanks for your help.

post-30642-0-55264800-1316946205_thumb.j

Are you sure that is a PCM2.1 unit? It looks the same as a PCM2.0

post-4000-0-11666500-1316953838_thumb.jp

Also, if your car is MY2004, I believe it should have PCM2.0, which is CD based, not DVD.

Edit: Maybe not, as I just moticed the connector in the top right hand corner.....

Anyway, this might help with three of them:

post-4000-0-39417400-1316954394_thumb.jp

post-4000-0-77450800-1316954560_thumb.jp

Sorry - I don't have the same for 2.1.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

After reading some of the useful TSB's this afternoon I think I know what is up here.

When the original unit was supplied it must have been working with the external DVD drive before it developed a screen fault (PCM Version 2.1). When I purchased the car and the independent dealership obtained (via Porsche) a 2003 model unit which has the sat nav module built within the unit itself (PCM Version 2). That would explain the blue antenna connector in the lower right part of the rear of the unit.

I have a model year 2004 which is when they went to a separate dvd navigation unit. After checking websites I found a rear picture of mine and it has the blue gps antenna connector on the back of the navigation unit. The signals are then transferred via MOST to the head unit.

When my replacement was supplied (a 2003 model) it is unaware of the DVD navigation unit. I was also advised at the time to do the update to version 3.0 and from what I have been reading when the update is done to the head unit an update needs to be done to the external navigation unit. This is a disc that was never supplied with the replacement unit. Therefore, I believe the head unit maybe working fine but the ability of the external dvd navigation unit to speak to the head unit is impaired by the version indifference. When I tested sat nav disc in the external dvd nav drive the head unit asks for the navigation cd. I know the DVD navigation drive is working as expected.

Hope that makes sense to those who have an external dvd navigation unit and have upgraded the software before.

It looks like I may need to get the independent involved and get them to either replacement the unit with a model year 2004 or later unit and or provide the update disc for both the unit and external dvd navigation disc.

post-30642-0-67169700-1316966842_thumb.j

post-30642-0-16888400-1316966852_thumb.j

Edited by blinx

Device type 6635 is PCM 2.0. System software version 3.0 is the latest version for that system.

PCM2.0 is black, whereas PCM2.1 is a silver/grey colour.

Edit: I still think that PCM2.0 is correct for a MY2004 Cayenne. (My brother had one). I believe 2.1 was introduced in September 2004 (MY2005).

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your help so far Richard. It is much appreciated.

I have decoded the VIN and it is a Model 9PA - Manufacture Year 2005 and was first registered in October 2004.

So, it looks like they have sent me the wrong type of PCM unit for the car that it originally had. Time to get hold of them tomorrow I think.

I did a final test tonight. Put the updated v3.0 Sat Nav CD in the DVD drive under the drivers seat and the navigation will not start. Place it in the main head unit drive and it will start. However, you don't get the Sat GPS Info.

So if it is a Model 2005 what should be the model number of the PCM I need to ensure they replace it with?

Edited by blinx

Blinx - Your car must be Model Year 2005 then. That's what had me fooled.

I think the one you need is 664something, but I'm not sure. You have definitely been given the wrong one though.

Where are you from, by the way, as 6635 is a European version.

Edit: Sorry, 2,1 is silver/grey in the 987/997. My bad.

My old PCM was 6655 7L5.035.191L (early '06 model, late '05 manufacture Turbo S) and I replaced it with a 17/08 dated PCM 6693 7L5.035.192C and all is well, so there is a bit of interchangeability between the 2.1 units but as everyone mentioned, you have a 2.0 unit. I have heard that Bose cars need a Bose unit and Vice Versa.

• 6 months later...

I think any of the 2.1 units can accept a reverse camera. Most aftermarket cameras have a RCA connection and the PCM has a FAKRA connection but there are many companies that make adapters to convert them. My camera failed in my '06 Turbo S and Porsche wanted $1500 just for parts to replace it, I replaced it with a $20 Ebay camera (picture just as good if not better) and an plug adapter for another $15.

hi hahnmgh63, do you know which one is the FAKRA connection on the PCM, did you look at my pictures? do i have a PCM 2.1, it does have a DVD drive under the front seat, do you know who you bought the camera off on Ebay, sorry for all the questions

Edited by menorcarob

There are 3 Fakra connections on the back. The Black one is Antenna, Tan is Diversity, and Green is Video-In. Most aftermarket cameras have the RCA adapter (female plug) so you will need a RCA to Fakra adapter. Most Ebay cameras also come with pleny of RCA cable to reach from the rear of a vehicle to the front whereas I had the factory reverse camera so I was able to plug into the Fakra connection under the trim piece on the rear hatch and didn't have to run a cable. The cable extensions are male to male so you need a Female RCA to Fakra Female to plug into the back of the unit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CABLE-VIDEO-FAKRA-RCA-VIDEO-ADAPTER-REVERSE-CAMERA-/250868968340

Edited by hahnmgh63
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

You need the PCM to be coded for the Rear view camera probably. It is something that needs to be done with the PIWIS. I replaced my PCM in my '06 Turbo S w/rear view camera option and the camera wouldn't work anymore so I took the car to the dealer and they coded the newer PCM for the Rear View camera and all was well again. Mine said the same as yours "AV not available".

hi

thanks for the reply, problem is i live on an island called menorca and there is no porsche dealer, what is piwis, can it be bought? any idea how much it would cost, is there another dealer say VW that would they be able to do the fix.

thanks

robin

PIWIS is just a Panasonic Toughbook (at least at my dealer) that has proprietary Porsche software installed. Only Porsche dealers have the real software (tightly controlled I guess) and can code the PCM. It took them all of 15 minutes from start to finish on my '06 Turbo S. I don't think you can get it done with anything else.

• Admin

PIWIS is just a Panasonic Toughbook (at least at my dealer) that has proprietary Porsche software installed. Only Porsche dealers have the real software (tightly controlled I guess) and can code the PCM. It took them all of 15 minutes from start to finish on my '06 Turbo S. I don't think you can get it done with anything else.

You described a PIWIS 2 - what he needs can be done with a PIWIS 1 also.

Both require an interface box to communicate with the car through the OBD II plug.

PIWIS (1)

post-1-0-36664400-1337311030_thumb.jpg

PIWIS 2

post-1-0-07606800-1337311034_thumb.jpg