Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

99-00 996 Speedo Querstions

Hello Again,

Post #2! WOO!

Anyway, my second question has to do with factory 996 Speedo Units. I recently purchased a 996 from the United States and I wanted to put a Canadian Speedo in it and I purchased a couple from wreckers here and there.

I installed 1 or two wrong ones and finally I purchased one that was exactly my year with my plugs and etc. The Kms were off but I figured I could reset them.

My question is this, when I installed the unit, it seemed everything was fine until I started driving it. The ABS Light did not go out and the low brake fluid light also did not shut off. To make matters worse, it did not register my speed or count the mileage. And lastly, when I shut the car off and locked the doors, the three main lcd screens in the speedo remained lit, no information just lit up and wouldn't go out even after 30-45 mins.

Now my question is this, do I have the wrong speedo unit or is there something I did not do correctly?

Is there something I have to reset and can do or do I have to go to the dealer and pay the 100 plus dollars an hour to have them code something?

My biggest issue is that I don't want it to be the wrong speedo and the dealer charges me the amount anyway. Is there a quick fix to this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last question, if this is a dealer thing as all items seem to be (My last issue was remote programming) is there a place to buy the unit that Porsche uses to do all this? I used to have an S2000 and I purchased a Honda handheld and did it all myself. This would be great for the Porsche as I plan to hold on to these cars for a long time.

Thanks Again!

There seems to be 4 factors which affect the spec on Canadian instrument clusters on the PET (see attached). It depends on manual (M480), tiptronic (M249), C2 (M338) or C4 (M339). From the attached you may be able to identify the ones you have got, and determine what you need.

I suspect that you will end up at your dealer, and they may be able to re-code the original cluster. I think there is some region-specific coding in the cluster and you will probably be getting conflicts between the DME (and other control units) and the cluster, which houses the OBC, etc.

Coding is done with the Porsche System Tester 2 (PST2) or the Porsche Integrated Workshop Information System (PIWIS). You would need to have very deep pockets to buy one.

instrument_cluster.pdf

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your reply, I had the completely wrong cluster. This may explain the christmas tree effect in the car.

Thanks for taking hte time to write out your response.

Raymond