Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2002 Porsche 911 C2 Coupe Stereo question

Hello all:

I have an 02 911 Coupe and I want to change out the stereo as most do.  Crutchfield says they have not researched this particular year car and have no fitment options for me.  I want to do the install and have used them many times before. 

My question is: are the 996 from 1999 to 2002 (which I have read do not have the MOST fiber lines) the same when it comes to ordering the head unit, trim kit and the wiring harness? 

I want to remove the factory head unit and amp but for now still use the factory speakers.

I do not want a Double DIN, no NAV, no Sirius.

I do want........Blaupunkt or Alpine Single DIN, USB, that will play an actual CD and possibly Bluetooth.

I would like to completely get rid of a mess in the front trunk area if at all possible.  I am not interested in a loud booming system.  Just a nice setup..

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Frank

What are your Option Codes?  Do you have the M490 Stereo Option?  Sounds like you have the AMP or possibly a CD changer in the trunk? Is your radio a CDR220 (CD player) or just a CR 220 (cassette tape)?

From what you described as wanting, IMHO I would do the following in the order below one at a time until your satisfied.

1. Replace speakers (immediate and remarkable improvement at least the dash and doors) The quality or lack of quality that you're experiencing are lack of quality speakers.

2. Swap out CD changer if you have one with a blue tooth adapter or simply add a blue tooth to existing HU as the CDR220 (CD220) have an AUX input.

3. Swap out CR220 with a CDR220  1st and if your not satisfied replace CDR220 with aftermarket  HU Blaupunkt,, Sony, or Alpine Single DIN.

3. Swap out AMP.

Just my thoughts.

You have a PM

Edited by kbrandsma

kbrandsma:

Thanks for your reply.  I currently have a CDR220 with the Bose amp in the trunk. No sure what stereo option I have.  What I want is to get rid of the amp and OEM head unit.  I want to get a nice aftermarket HU and run the wires from the HU to the speakers.  I want to have the trunk with a clean appearance.  I am not interested in rumbling my windows or anything so loud it is annoying.

Mainly I was wanting information as what all years of the 996 will coincide with my 2002 since Crutchfield has not "researched" this particular year. 

If I look up a 2001, which they have researched, will this HU and harness work with my car?  I assume it will but want to make sure since I will be doing this work myself.

Thanks,

Frank