Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hey Everyone,

I just noticed my car leaking some liquid that doesn't look like its motor oil as it not coming from the filter or oil pan. It's more to the the passenger side and from the front differential i think but i might be wrong. I took a couple pictures one from the pan that is full of purple oil and from a small hose that looks like it might be leaking from there but I'm not 100% sure. Has anyone experienced this or could point me to what is causing this and a fix.

dxedqr.jpg

rwjvw1.jpg

313rekh.jpg

Thanks!

Could be a few different things but Purple or Pink could be a Coolant leak. You don't say what year and model but I take it from the pic that it is a V6?  After a few years the Coolant Reservoir is known to fail around the seam and start leaking. A few drips at first then a fair amount in a short time. Could very well be leaking above and dripping down on top of things.

I'm assuming it should be in the same place as a V8, on the rear right side of the engine compartment beneath a removable plastic cover. Just behind the Blue Windshield washer bottle filler. The cover should be right up against the firewall. All of the plastic trim pieces can be removed fairly easily. Look for any fluid dripping down on top of the fender and running down the side.

First need to determine if it's oil or Coolant. With some on your finger run it under warm water for a few seconds, if it's Coolant it should almost totally wash off, if oil it won't.  If oil it must be transmission fluid, most likely from the front cooler or even more likely from a line going back and forth. On the V8's I think those lines are on the left side though. Hard to tell where it is coming from after it's driven as the air stream can cause any loose fluid to fling all over. Try to wash a little under there with "Gunk" from an Autoparts store, let it dry, then start it up and see if you can tell where it's coming from. You don't want your tranny to get too low on fluid and it isn't easy for a DIY to do unless you have the right tools and a computer with the Durametric program.

Would this be the line that that goes back and forth? It's the line I found that has the most fluid all over it. Either way I will be checking to see if its oil or coolant when I get home. If its not the line can any give me a pic of where the line would be located on a 06 cayenne v6.

280pe0x.jpg

Thanks again for the help hahnmgh63!

Forgot to mention, that same line in this pic seems a little loose. I can wiggle it and im not too sure if that means its broken or not fitted correctly.

Edited by Peter Villalon

That line is the vent for the front differential, the purple fluid on the subframe on your last pic in the first post is probably from the hydraulic engine mounts. You need to determine what fluid type you actually have sprayed all over the area.

Ok I found where it is coming from and it looks like it is a coolant leak. I don't know what this part is exactly but if someone could shed some light and a part number that would be great (I assume the number on the part 7LO.317.027.A) but could not find it through google. Also, is there something i can put temporarily like "for a lack of a better work" duck tape.

So, the cause is there was no bolt holding this piece to what seems to be the radiator as support. Since it was loose it was rubbing and banging on a metal frame and must have punctured the top line. The line punctured is the ->K (out) line. Now that i put a bolt to hold the piece it seems it is now leaking more than before as it doesn't have the frame to maybe close it. Either way, i'd like to replace this whole line and if someone has some tips or DIY it would be great. Thanks again to those who have replied to my post :-).

2e6exxt.jpg

10wk3ro.jpg

2cgknbt.jpg

ogazdh.jpg

2i72249.jpg

Edited by Peter Villalon

Looks like a oil Thermostat for the ATF Cooler. Must be a thermostat for one of the heat exchangers. A V6 only part I think. Not 100% sure from the pic but you mean it is the Aluminum pipe that was rubbing & Leaking, not the rubber hose?

Edited by hahnmgh63

Got to this Porsche page and download the parts .pdf for the Cayenne. Make sure you do the 2003-2006 year. Then open it and go to page 145 and there are the parts you need. A real handy parts .pdf from Porsche. You can go to www.sonnen.com and plug in the part numbers for good prices, less than most other dealers and the website will also give you the new part number if the part has been superseded with a new part. Usually only the last two digits change when Porsche changes or updates a part. If it doesn't work PM me and I can send you the .pdf, it is about 20.5MB

Looks like a oil Thermostat for the ATF Cooler. Must be a thermostat for one of the heat exchangers. A V6 only part I think. Not 100% sure from the pic but you mean it is the Aluminum pipe that was rubbing & Leaking, not the rubber hose?

On the last pic you can see where that round metal piece on the frame was rubbing against the aluminum pipe and punctured it. I wiped it clean and after 5 to 10 min a few drops were noticeable (Purple/Redish liquid). 

Got to this Porsche page and download the parts .pdf for the Cayenne. Make sure you do the 2003-2006 year. Then open it and go to page 145 and there are the parts you need. A real handy parts .pdf from Porsche. You can go to www.sonnen.com and plug in the part numbers for good prices, less than most other dealers and the website will also give you the new part number if the part has been superseded with a new part. Usually only the last two digits change when Porsche changes or updates a part. If it doesn't work PM me and I can send you the .pdf, it is about 20.5MB

Is this the PDF your talking about? If so, I went to page 145 and has a diagram of a wiring harness. If its not, I can PM you so I can grab the correct one. Thanks!

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/en/E_9PA_KATALOG.pdf

That's the page. Those are lines for the ATF cooler so you may need to get the level in your transmission checked depending on how much it leaked.  Sorry about that, I was typing faster than I was thinking. Some spelling mistakes and no link I see :)

Edited by hahnmgh63