Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Side light code reset

Earth? just because it is lit does not mean that the earth is good. It obviously is getting power but due to the wiring of the lights it can earth back via the element of other bulbs if they are not on. You could remove all the other bulbs but it is quicker to check the earth with a multimeter  :) Earth side to the battery -ve (or known earth on the chassis) You could try taking a known good earth and connecting that to the earth (-ve) side of the bulb holder and see if the error goes. I would not advise leaving the connection there, fix the fault, as there is no doubt some 'trick' bit of wiring in the car that would complain! (example on BMW's that if the sidelight fails it lights the indicators constantly on half power to act as a sidelight)

Will try both suggestions. Regarding checking for ground  jl-c, it would help me  if you could be more specific regarding which contact wire to check. As the side light body is all plastic and the bumper is as well, where in that harness is the circuit being grounded ?

As I removed both side lights and fog/turn signal lights I will remove and recheck all the connects and wiring looms but will try bulb on the side indicated as the most expedient fix first.

As an update, I acted upon Doug_B-928's  advise by just replacing the clear side lights ( I'd installed years ago) on both sides with the original orange ones and the original bulbs and believe-it-or-not the error went away. Now, not that I didn't trust Doug but, when I was a lad, a side marker bulb either worked or it didn't. There where no fancy computer gadgets to foretell of the impending death of a side light bulb ( let alone the exact location of same). I am more than a little amazed at these cars sometimes as to how sophisticated, maybe overly sophisticated is a better way to put it, these cars are.

At any rate, problem solved, new bulbs on order. I use the clear silver tipped bulbs that glow orange the originals of which have lasted over 6 years. Thanks for the help.

Edited by dphatch

Pin 6 in the multi plug that goes from the lights to the front harness. Brown wire. Check for 0 Ohms (or close to the reading you get shorting both probes together ) from the brown wire in the socket (front harness) to a known earth in the front compartment. You will find various studs on the bodywork with earth wires (brown ) connected to them. Anything above 2 or 3 Ohms and you need to be looking for a break. Check also from pin 6 of the plug you disconnected i.e.. the one that is connected to the actual lights, to each side of the sidelights and fog lights (bulbs removed). Should again be brown wires. pin A2, B2, C2 etc.

OK just read you last post  :D glad you got it sorted :clapping:

Edited by jl-c

• 2 weeks later...

Pin 6 in the multi plug that goes from the lights to the front harness. Brown wire. Check for 0 Ohms (or close to the reading you get shorting both probes together ) from the brown wire in the socket (front harness) to a known earth in the front compartment. You will find various studs on the bodywork with earth wires (brown ) connected to them. Anything above 2 or 3 Ohms and you need to be looking for a break. Check also from pin 6 of the plug you disconnected i.e.. the one that is connected to the actual lights, to each side of the sidelights and fog lights (bulbs removed). Should again be brown wires. pin A2, B2, C2 etc.

OK just read you last post  :D glad you got it sorted :clapping:

As luck would have it, problem was not corrected after replacing the bulbs for the side marker lights and the parking lights which are in with the fog lamps. Short tested all modules with Durametric after resetting the coeds that were showing and everything came back clear.  Now both left and right parking lights show to be needing attention so I'm back to the ground issue. Where exactly is the front harness you're referring to ?  

when you unplug your light units, the side that is not connected to the light is the harness. It is all inside your front bumper until it enters the trunk. You can refer it to the earth side of the battery. 

So your referring to connections that attach to the light fixtures themselves. Was thinking by harness you meant the main harness connection for the all of the front bumper electrics. Any fault recorded at the harness ends would need to be traced back along the harness to its origin  ? This would require removal of the passenger side wheel well liner as this is where the main harness enters the bumper. Is it possible that a loose connection at the main harness might be causing the problem ? Issue started after I removed the side lights and fog light housings. I did not remove the headlights. Could be that the connection at the main harness end is problem.I'll start at the connections to the lights and work my way over to the main connector.  

I would start from the light connections and work back as you suggest, referring back to the main earth source namely the battery. When the (assuming the fault is an earth issue! ) Ohms value is at zero or as near as, then you have just gone past the problem point, be it a high resistance connection or a break.

As a follow up. I removed the fog light housing to address the parking light issue and found both bulbs had failed. Prior to the reinstall, I checked and cleaned all the connection points on both harness and the bulbs and bulb holders themselves. I replaced the bulbs with the same blue 5 watt wedge type bulbs and reinstalled both housings. I further disconnected the negative battery terminal and clean both the terminal and the lug prior to reconnection. I started the car and checked for alerts which did not return, As this issue started with a side light alert and ended with a parking light alert I can only conclude it was a weird coincidence that both sets of bulbs failed within a very narrow time window.  

My thanks to both jl-c and Doug_ for your help.