Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Well the next most popular top problem has entered my life. While stopped with the e-brake on, the top switch did nothing. I checked to make sure the PARK light was on indicating the e-brake switch had been contacted. Next I checked the fuse panel for any blown units, all looked good. My next thought was the infamous relay I've read about. Can this relay be checked someway? Can I ground the e-brake pin checking for a malfunction? How about a jumper wire eliminating the relay just to prove it is the culprit? Any thoughts or ideas are certainly welecomed.

Also thanx to everyone in advance for the amount of information that is available in this forum, without it I'd be lost.

Carl

• Moderators

Boxster tops are simple compared to a 996. The 3 typical electrical problems are the latch switch, hand brake switch, or relay/control unit.

There are 3 pages in the shop manual on troubleshooting. But it tells you to test for voltage in several places - not how to test the relay itself.

Pull the relay out, tap it a few times, and put it back in. Some Boxster owners have gotten their top working by simply removing and reinstalling the relay. Or find a 1997-1999 Boxster owner and swap the relay to see if that is the problem.

Double check the brake switch/light. Start the car, wait a minute, pull up on the brake and see if the light comes on. Jeff

I checked my service manual(cd) and all I found was a check for incoming voltage to the relay. Went home last nite and removed the relay to get correct part number off of it and of course dropped it on the garage floor. My dog immediatley saw this as an opportunity to play so I had to chase the relay thoughout the garage. Wrote the number down, reinstalled, and guess what! The top now works! I'm going to buy a new relay for spare just in case my dog isn't with me the next time this happens.

Thanx again for the input.

• Moderators

Your dog must have some magic - try it with a cat next time. Just pulling out any electrical device and plugging it back in can improve the connection. There is in fact a TSB for what may seem to be a bad oxygen sensor. Undo the connector, plug it back in, and it works.

If our tops do not work they cannot be diagnosed with the PST2, unlike a 996 Cab.