Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1999 996 Carrera 2

My car's steering feels quite loose at high speeds, and I feel a slight bit of vibrations up front as well. Believe the vibration is tire balance related but don't believe that has anything to do with the loose steering.

Would loose steering be related to alignment or something else??

Discount tire does Road Force balancing. Definitely pay a little extra for this service.

If you have a bad alignment, it will be a little vague around center going down the road, especially if you have toe out in the front.

If that's not it, you probably have some wear in the steering rack causing the looseness. A good alignment guy should be able to diagnose it...

Is Road Force balancing a part of the Hunter balancing system I have read about in some of the forums?

If there is an issue with wear in the steering rack is this something that I should have an authorized dealer take a look at? Or could a decent alignment shop perform these kind of repairs?

So far I haven't ventured far from Porsche maintenance, as I am afraid anyone else would screw something up.

A Hunter Road Forced balance is excellent and will definitely help with vibration. I find these low profile tires are extremely sensitive to any out-of-balance condition. As to the vaugeness at high speeds you need to have someone check that out.

• 6 months later...

my car has a similar problem/feel, actually feels a bit light in the front at speeds over 85 and a slight vibration which I would imagine is the tires needing a bit better balancing. I am a new porsche owner so I am not sure how the cars steering should feel at speeds over 85, I guess I expected solid steering feel at high speeds, I will also have the alighnment checked.

• 2 weeks later...

It took me two force balancings and a replacement of an out of round tire to get it much better. Not exactly perfect, but very good. I'm not sure if after a certain age there is a little vibration caused by other things in the steering set-up.

If you are a new Porsche driver you may be surprised to find that the car feels very light in the front , especially if you have been driving front-engined ( heavy engine) in the front. It took me quite a while before I realised that this bobbing / wandering seems to be a characteristic of a 996. Now I am used to it and I feel comfortable with this " feature". I hear that with the 997 they have taken care ( to a great extend) of this "lightness" in the front. At least that is what the Rags say. I have not driven one yet.

my car has a similar problem/feel, actually feels a bit light in the front at speeds over 85

What "feeling a bit light" means is of course everybody's individual perception, but the car should feel absolutely rock-solid literally all the way to top speed. On German motorway-blasts, I can happily take my hand off the steering wheel at 160 mph to change the radio station, pick my nose or whatever I want to do to relieve boredom.

If my car was "feeling light" or indifferent at higher speeds (for me that's >120 mph), I'd check in this order:

1) Tyre pressure set to OEM spec

2) No spacers on the front axle

3) Toe-in correct

4) Camber correct

Quite often it is a problem of no toe-in on the front wheels.

As for the vibrations, as you said this could be wheel balancing. If you don't feel it in the steering wheel but it's more the whole of the car slightly vibrating, then it is more likely to be slight flat-spotting of the tyres. Quite often happens to my tyres towards the end of their lives.

Cheers

Uwe

Edited by umn