Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Painting the interior trim plastic

I just bought my first boxster and wanted to paint the trim artic silver like the exterior. My father in law is good with the paint gun but I wondered what i need as far as primer and stuff to paint the plastic. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!

Not exactly the first you post you want to make since this topic has been covered ad nauseum. Use the search function and search the old posts and get familiar with what is available.

As far as painting pieces there is a difference between being good with a paint gun and being a professional. From the sounds of it, your in-law is not a professional since you are asking these questions.

My advice is to contact Eric at Bumper Plugs since he does this as a professional and caters to this community especially. You won't be dissapointed if you go with Eric. Everybodyt raves about his work.

I realize this is probably a topic that every one has discussed.

In doing some searches I did see some talk and it seems like bumperplugs.com is the place to go.

I was unable to find specifics on what primer to use, what type of hardner can be used on the plastic. I know DIY is not as good as a professional but I enjoy the challenge.

Nothing is cheap with a porsche but I am on a budget!

If you are on a budget then you own the wrong car. Sorry for being so blunt but it's the truth. I enjoy a challenge as well (as I am sure most do) but there are some things that you just don't take on....this is one of them.

• 3 weeks later...
If you are on a budget then you own the wrong car.  Sorry for being so blunt but it's the truth.  I enjoy a challenge as well (as I am sure most do) but there are some things that you just don't take on....this is one of them.

Check out www.eastwoodco.com. They have a couple of different primers that prep the plastic to take a good paint bond. From my limited experience, they work quite well.

You can get a very good result with a modest amount of effort. But if you really want a Porsche quality result, Bumperplugs.com is the way to go - everything I've gotten from Eric is top, top quality.

• Moderators

Look at this from 2 months ago. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...95&hl=auto+body I was told the car was owned by a local body show owner named Dell. Means nothing to you unless you are local, and know that Dell's Autobody Refinishing is a local shop that has worked on Porsches for many years.

Over the years I have spoken to 2 local body shop owners that paint plastic, rubber, and metal for a living. Both shops have painted my Box in the 6 years I have owned it. When I tell them that there is a claim that painting Porsche plastic and rubber is different than, let's say a Honda, then I get one of those looks. 14 stage special process.....

So I met Dell today for the first time at the local tech session. Hard not to notice the vents on his Box. Then he pointed out the plastic and rubber parts that had been painted silver. He said he prepares the surface to make it smooth, uses the proper primer, and a flex agent in the paint. The more a part can flex like the bumperetts the more flex agent he uses. No mystery, and exactly what I was told by the other 2 local body shop owners.

Oh, and Dell said the side vents facing different directions are intentional. They were made by hand and made of metal. I thought at least one side of the car had been hit and that is why he did it, but he said no, he did it just to do something different.

post-4-1116112163_thumb.jpg

post-4-1116112214_thumb.jpg

post-4-1116112329_thumb.jpg

post-4-1116112380_thumb.jpg

there are some things that you just don't take on....this is one of them.

That's crap... Many people have done it with great results.

I agree. I have done this myself and nobody can tell that it is not factory. Painting plastic is different than painting metal, but it is not a mystery. I used a plastic bonding primer, regular sandable auto primer, sanded and reapplied several times to get a smooth finish as opposed to having the pebble grain look to it. Then I applied the appropriate color silver and then a glossy topcoat. I have not had any peeling or any problems at all.

Best of luck to you both with your DIY painted in the garage look. I'd love to see the quality of your work and then compare it to a professional job. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Just remember, perception is subjective and therefore what you think is a good job compared to a job done by the professionals is just that.....your perception.

I think Gundo said it best...."You can get a very good result with a modest amount of effort. But if you really want a Porsche quality result, Bumperplugs.com is the way to go"

This post is not to endorse (although I would rec'd him) Eric at bumperplugs specifically, just making the point that I didn't say your perception of "good" is bad, it is just not a professional look. Because if it was, then you would be doing this as a business.

Best of luck to you both with your DIY painted in the garage look.  I'd love to see the quality of your work and then compare it to a professional job.  As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Just remember, perception is subjective and therefore what you think is a good job compared to a job done by the professionals is just that.....your perception.

I think Gundo said it best...."You can get a very good result with a modest amount of effort. But if you really want a Porsche quality result, Bumperplugs.com is the way to go"

This post is not to endorse (although I would rec'd him) Eric at bumperplugs specifically, just making the point that I didn't say your perception of "good" is bad, it is just not a professional look.  Because if it was, then you would be doing this as a business.

I do agree, and in most cases the average individual cannot do as good of a job as a professional. Maybe I should not recommend someone try this themselves as I have been doing such tasks for the past 10 years, but have not worked out of a shop. It has always been on the side for me. I guess to me it seems to be a simple proceedure, but in reality it does take skill to make it look perfect. On a side note though, there are people that can do a job as good as "Eric" and not own a business doing such. That is like saying a person cannot be a marksmen without being in the Military or being a police officer.