Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

75k miles service?

(I posted this in the "High Miles" thread, but since 75k isn't so high mileage anymore, perhaps no one has seen it.  Trying again at the top level).

My trusty 2004 C4S Cab has just reached 75k miles.  It's a daily driver, but I don't drive a great deal.  I've had it since about 40k mi in late 2010.   I'm going to throw some money at it, and I'm wondering what advice about preventive maintenance everyone has.

I'm planning on replacing the IMS with the LNE one, and I guess the RMS in the process, along with the clutch (though it doesn't need one).  I'm going to do a full service, with all new fluids.  It had a brake job about 10k miles ago, so it doesn't need that, and its had both rear wheel bearings replaced about 20k mi ago, so it doesn't need that either.

I'm replacing the headlights, which are yellowed beyond salvage (already have the new ones).

Other than some buff-and-polish for the exterior, I'm also replacing the (sacrificial) spoiler lip below the front fender, which is in pretty bad shape.

Other than this, what advice do y'all have for what to do here?

Edited by gnetwerker

Water pump, coolant and thermostat for sure. Make sure you include your gear lube (75W90) as you said "all new fluids". When were plugs last done? If older than 4-5 years, those should be changed too. How old is battery? Maybe replace, or at the very least, top off with distilled water in each cell.

Major service is at 30K intervals or 90K. 

If you have no records or proof of work done from previous owner, it is always good to error on the side of caution and do some things to ensure you are at suggestive mileage maintenance recommendations. If you are not leaking oil from RMS, your Cam Angles are ok (+-6 degrees) and since your clutch is fine, I would wait for your 90K maintenance to do IMS, RMS and Clutch.  AOS is easier when tranny is dropped so if that is ok I would wait unto 90K as well. 

Brake fluid should be replaced every two(2) years and sooner if  you track your 996.

When you decide to replace your coolant, then do your water pump and I would upgrade to LNE 155 degree thermostat. 

During your next oil change, replace stock filter with LNE's  spin-on oil filter and magnetic drain plug.  Also consider mag filter and maybe send sample of oil to Blackstone.  I started testing my oil on my MY98' 986 at 90K and currently have 150K on the clock.

I'm of the opinion not to replace coil packs unless they are cracked and/or throw an error.  Spark plug change frequency is every 30K. As is the serpentine belt and in the process check idler pulleys and replace if not operating properly. My idlers have never been replaced.

Fuel filter changes are every 30K, but I think yours is with the fuel pump (front trunk) and should be fine.

Edited by kbrandsma
  • Upvote 1