Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Does anyone know if a reliable source for getting the speedometer cluster repaired for a 996?

Mine has developed some issues associated with the LED's cracking or winking out and I'd like to find someone who can fix it versus replacing it (problematic)

Please let me know if this is something anyone has some experience with this. 

I attempted to repair one of the older-style clusters with the LCD display.  The shops I contacted said the LCDs were not available from the manufacturer.  (The gauges are manufactured by VDO.)  I ended up re-programming another circuit board with good LCD's.  You can read about that here: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43017-carrera-gauge-swap.html

I am not as familiar with the LED clusters and don't know for certain whether replacement LEDs are available.  Hollywood Speedometer and Palo Alto Speedometer are reputed to be good repair shops for VDO gauges.  I suggest you search for their contact information and see what they say.

If those shops cannot help, I think you have two options:  (1) Reprogram a cluster or circuit board with good LEDs or (2) remove good LED's from another circuit board and have them soldered on yours.  I have attached the programming instructions if you choose to pursue that option. 

Working with the EPROM on Porsche Boxster - illustrated - old and new style clusters.docx

Wow, pretty detailed and amazing info thanks so much. This is great to have although a bit to technical for me to perform myself (I lack the time and the materials) 

I live not too far from Palo Alto Speedometer but they seem reluctant to take this on. Do you know anywhere else where someone can have a cluster repaired? Mine is a 2000 Cab so it's very specific. The failures are: Speedo LED is cracked and de-laminated (hard to read) and the Odometer display no longer lights up (digits are barely visible under certain circumstances. 

Marc

If you have a 2000, I think that your display has LCD's instead of LED's.  If that is the case, than  the programming process is the one I used when I installed a 996 cluster in my Boxster and simpler than the one required for the later clusters. 

I tried three or four sources for cluster repair and didn't find anyone willing to repair a cluster.  They all told me that they couldn't get the parts.  So, I'm afraid I cannot be of much help there.

If I was in your shoes, I would buy a used cluster with good LCD's.  The cluster can be from a 1997-2000 Boxster or a Carrera up to model year 2001.  You will only be using the circuit board, and the Boxster and the Carrera have the  same circuit board.  If you locate a cluster, feel free to send me a link to the ad and I can confirm whether it is the right one.  It is pretty easy to tell.  The early-style clusters like the one you need have blue, white and black connectors on the back. Late-style clusters have connectors that are grey, blue and green and won't work on your car. 

Then, I would put an ad on Craigslist or a similar site and see if you can find someone with experience programming EPROM's.  (Since you live near Palo Alto, you have a good chance of finding one due to the concentration of electronics firms.)  They should be able to follow the instructions I provided and reprogram the replacement circuit board for you.  If you don't want to take on the job of removing and installing the cluster, a mechanic should be able to do it in about an hour.

Good sources for used clusters include eBay and the Porsche websites.  The guy who posted this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/52469-parting-out-whole-lot-boxsters-31.html is very good to deal with and has reasonable prices. 

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited by KevinH90

I have a 2001 C4. The odometer LCD had a starburst when it was very cold out upon startup. I also searched everywhere for repair and found this company. http://VDORepair.com

They said they could repair it. This was over 2 years ago and fortunately I did not have use them as the ambient temperature outside went up the starburst disappeared. Might give them a call to see it they can help you. 

Also Good Luck

John