Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can someone please help me with the correct part number & a description for a short-shift kit for my 997S.

I ordered one from Suncoast along with other parts and they sent me a very small blue bracket. I know the B&M short shifter on my 996 was a completely different assembly. I assume that the short shift for the 997 is more than a blue bracket for $400+??

I would like to see a picture of what you received.  And the part number.

The part came in a package with the 997 424 983 00 number on the front. But in reality it is a blue tool that effectively locks the shift in neutral for proper alignment of the stick shift. I remember hearing about one of these when I did the work on my 996, but then I didn't have the tool so I just marked the cables.

This definitely can't be the short shifter. I have a picture from a parts manual that calls this blue piece part 9619

Sounds like someone got the wrong thing in the box with the correct part number. There should be a complete shifter frame, shifter lever, shifter linkages for two connections all assembled ready to install. It replaces the existing assembly with no other modifications or assembly required. Some adjustment of cable/connection length may be needed to ensure proper shifting.

Obviously, this is not what you received.

• Moderators

How about a picture. What exactly did you order. Did you order the factory short shift for a 997, or an aftermarked.

The first picture is the factory short shift for 997/987, part number 997 424 983 00. The blue tool in the picture is used to center the shift lever. The tool number is not 9619.

The second picture is the standard 996/986 shift and the tool for that shift. It is orange and the tool number is 9169. The part number for the orange tool is 000 721 961 90.

I have been trying to find the blue tool. It is not in the tool catalog. At out recent tech session I went through the tool catalog with the mechanic and we could not find the blue tool, just the orange tool that is way different than the blue tool. He then told me he seemed to remember that if you ordered the 997/987 short shift the blue tool came in the box with the shifter. If this is true then is is strange you have to buy the shift to get the blue tool.

If you have the blue tool shown in the first picture then can you give me any part numbers on it.

post-4-1115335184_thumb.jpg

post-4-1115335288_thumb.jpg

997.424.383.00 is embossed on the tool itself

Looks like you might be a victim of someone pulling the wrong part number somewhere along the line. 997.424.383.00 is very close to 997.424.983.00, which is want you ordered.

yes, it is straightened out now. The correct part is on the way.

Thanks

Glad to hear that it is sorted out. You will really like the Short Shift Kit. It makes a huge difference in the feel of every shift. It also seems to become easier to use (smoother) with every passing shift.

• Moderators

Can you double check this tool part number. 3 parts guys at my dealer cannot find it in the computer. So today I went to my dealer and had the shop foreman who is the 997 PCA tech advisor look for it and he could not find it either.

And how about a picture of the tool like this so I can see what it looks like.

post-4-1116110080_thumb.jpg

Can you double check this tool part number. 3 parts guys at my dealer cannot find it in the computer. So today I went to my dealer and had the shop foreman who is the 997 PCA tech advisor look for it and he could not find it either.

And how about a picture of the tool like this so I can see what it looks like.

The tool is identical to the two in the picture above except it is blue. The part number I gave is the only number on the tool.