Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fastrak Flex in the SF Bay Area - 1, 2 or 3+?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I recently received my Fastrak Flex in the mail.  I plan on installing it in the Boxster tonight, but I've never had one, and I'm a bit confused of how I should set the switch (1,2,3+) for passengers.

Obviously for just "me", it'd be "1"...   But if I have a passenger, do I set the switch to "2", or bump it to "3+" since I'm essentially a carpool at that point?

Anybody have experience with these things?

Thanks!

Definitely not a dumb question...  I know if you have a 2-seater then you still qualify for 3+ carpool lanes when driving with 2 occupants.  Ultimately you'd run at 3+ to qualify for the more restricted HOV access requiring 3 or more occupants.  Most HOV are 2+ so you're fine with that setting in those circumstances.  One additional item to be aware of is tolls allowing non-HOV use for a fee; use the Mylar bag to prevent getting "dinged" on these for those running the original toll tag.  (Seems like the "Flex" version is meant to prevent this.)  Finally - keep an eye on your Fastrak statement as CalTrans uses license plate readers and I've had multiple charges resulting from a misread glitch.  You can always contact Fastrak customer service for any problems and they've been great in my experiences.  You don't need to have your toll tag to use your Fastrak account either as long as your license plate is listed on your account. (Vehicles can be added / deleted through your online account or over the phone.) I have had over 20 vehicles on my account and didn't want to pay the security deposit for toll tags > 3 or whatever the limit was.  Also works for rental vehicles - call Fastrak and provide the license plate to them with the time frame you'll have the car.

WWW.BAYAREAFASTRAK.ORG