Jump to content

The RennTech.org community is Member supported!  Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating.
Click here to Donate

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Recommended Posts

Hello,

Rebuilding a 2016 Cayman GT4 (981), which came with no key. Bought new key from dealer and now trying to find Kessy for mobile locksmith to program key to car. Anyone know exactly where it is in the car. Believe it is under/behind drivers side dashboard. Any suggestions/pictures would be appreciated.  

 

Thank you

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
    You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

2 hours ago, BozzaGT4 said:

Hello,

Rebuilding a 2016 Cayman GT4 (981), which came with no key. Bought new key from dealer and now trying to find Kessy for mobile locksmith to program key to car. Anyone know exactly where it is in the car. Believe it is under/behind drivers side dashboard. Any suggestions/pictures would be appreciated.  

 

Thank you

 

 

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

To start with, you have it backwards:  The car has to be programmed to accept the key.  In order to do this, you need the little white tag that came with the key (it cannot be done without it), and access to the factory PIWIS system (dealer's computer diagnostic system).  Once you have both, it takes about 5 min.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Thank you for the quick response

 

I didn’t see a white tag with the key, should it have a number on it? If I need to contact the dealer, what should I ask for?

The invoice has a lot of numbers, one of which might be relevant?: MID, TLI, AID,TVR, IAD, TSI?

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BozzaGT4 said:

 

Thank you for the quick response

 

I didn’t see a white tag with the key, should it have a number on it? If I need to contact the dealer, what should I ask for?

The invoice has a lot of numbers, one of which might be relevant?: MID, TLI, AID,TVR, IAD, TSI?

 

Thank you

 

Each key comes with a white tag that has a series of numbers on it that is critical for programing as it represents the code for the RFID pill in the key, without it, programing is impossible:

 

spacer.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BozzaGT4 said:

Thanks and I should have received a number(s) with my key (see attached)?

 

IMG_6858.JPG

 

Yes, the tag would look the same.  The photo I used was for a 986 Boxster, but all the later keys work exactly the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you. Reached out to dealer, they have ordered me another key with a tag. So my options with the PIWIS system is a) buy the computer/software b) go to dealer c) find a mobile locksmith? correct? thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BozzaGT4 said:

Thank you. Reached out to dealer, they have ordered me another key with a tag. So my options with the PIWIS system is a) buy the computer/software b) go to dealer c) find a mobile locksmith? correct? thank you. 

 

It can only be done with the PIWIS system, which Porsche does not sell, but only leases, first year lease is around $20,000..............yes, you read that correctly. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update- called dealer, he was surprised that I received the key without a tag. Ordered me a second key, then told me that the key does not come with a tag, because it is programmed "through the radio". As car radio doesn't turn on, back to square one. thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BozzaGT4 said:

Update- called dealer, he was surprised that I received the key without a tag. Ordered me a second key, then told me that the key does not come with a tag, because it is programmed "through the radio". As car radio doesn't turn on, back to square one. thanks

 

I have absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.