Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replace CR220 stereo with aftermarket?

I just bought a 2000 Boxster S with only 9,000 miles on it...and I love it. What I don't love, however, is the "high end" stereo it came with. It has 6 speakers, which is cool, and an amp, which is cool, and a 6 CD changer, which is cool; however, I would gladly replace the entire pile with a Pioneer or Alpine MP3/CD/Satellite system with a REAL amp and speakers. Is there any sort of aftermarket wiring harness, so I don't have to cut my harness up? That way, if a ever decide to sell, I can easily throw the old system back in for those folks who love OEM...

Well I just replaced my Becker 220 with an Alpine AM/FM/CD/XM and it could not be easier. I got the unit from Crutchfield and it came with the connector and wiring diagram. I just followed the instructions....with one exception. The ground on the original speakers are wound into a single bundle and connected to the radios ground. This will not allow the front base speakers (the ones in the door) to function well enough to be heard. Just ground them individually like the instructions with the install manual say and everything will work just fine. Total time was less than 3 hours from removal to driving around with the top down and tunes blasting. :jump:

Perry, did you use a pin diagram like this one to determine which wires to solder to the Alpine wiring harness?

http://www.iwantaporsche.net/StereoWiringConfig.pdf

I bought an Alpine unit yesterday but I am leery of cutting the wires from the molex connectors because I am not sure the internal Boxster wiring to those connectors will give me sound from both the doors and dash speakers when I solder the "front right +" wire to the corresponding wire on the Alpine harness. Hope this makes sense!

Any input you or anyone else can provide is greatly appreciated.

PS - If your last post was discussing an installation guide from Crutchfield and you no longer need it, can I buy it from you?

Edited by RandallNeighbour

Cool..what did you have to do to actually install the unit in the dash? Is the standard Porsche opening DIN or DIN and a half? I noticed no one sells a "kit" to install the aftermarket stereos. I may also rewire my speakers, if it is not too much of a headache. I just found some 4" component speakers that would fit up top on the dash, and a decent amp.

Isn't there a Volkswagen/Audi aftermarket wiring harness that would let me avoid cutting any wires?

Anyone know the VW part number off hand? I'm just not saavy enough to dig this out of the Internet, even with all the looking I have done.

Using the search feature on this site using "VW Part" (with quotes) yields this in the search results:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...4512&hl=vw+part

:D

Edited by dvdude

If you go to www.crutchfield.com and do a search for what fits my car put in your boxster info and you'll get all the issues answered. VW plugs do not fit all radio's check out the different Becker in just the 2000 Boxsters. Save time and money go to crutchfield and get everything you need. I did my exchange for the Alpin AM/FM/CD/XM from removeal to driving in under 3 hours with the right parts.

OK! I just successfully had my CDR210 replaced with an Alpine head unit.

The installer used the pre-amp RCA outputs from the back of the Alpine unit to bypass part of the factory 4 channel amp in the car, but he didn't go into details.

I gotta say that the $250 Alpine unit blows away the Becker head unit! Sounds like I got new speakers and a new amp out of the deal, and he didn't replace any of those. I highly recommend moving away from the Becker units!

From what I've learned, this is not a do-it-yourself project in that the installer has to be familiar with Porsche factory stereo systems. The guy at Tweeter (local stereo and TV store here in Houston and across the south) has done a half dozen 911's in the last two years and had no problem doing the same with my Boxster.

i recently took out my stock amp and cdr 220. and put in a 7" Alpine Multimedia System and works great and looks awesome. but the problem is the speakers are to weak for the power my unit puts out any suggestions on the dimensions of the speakers and what type i should put in and or amp? thanks for the reply

JP,

I could take a pic of the head unit, but that doesn't do you any good. I have an 03 cab. He replaced al the speakers in the stock spots and also added in the rear view mirror. There is a sub in the right foot well just like the bose and a sub in the spare, yes in the spare. The spare is still usable. The amps are hidden in front of the spare. That is the beauty of the system, totally stealth...sounds kick ***.

Go on his site and call Rick. He has 3 systems at different levels. He has done 1000s of these and knows his stuff.

Here check out this thread for the quality and others thoughts on his work....

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthr...&threadid=30264

Edited by neil.schneider