Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Instructions for changing transmission fluid

• Moderators

You might want to check out the B&M DVD.

You need the 2 bits that are on top. On the left is a 17mm allen for the fill plug and on the right is 16mm triple square with a hole in the middle for the drain plug. Mine are made by Hazet so they are a bit expensive. You can find cheaper versions is you look around. Jeff

tools_air_bag.sized.jpg

Just wondering why you would want to change the tranny fluid for a B&M shifter? All the shifter does is reduce the travel between gears on your handle only and doesn't change the normal operation of the transmission at all. I wouldn't change the fluid not unless I absolutely have to. You will probably have leaks from there on. Now, I'm a strong believer in preventive maintenance and my philosophy is, "Don't fix nothing that's not broken!" <_<

That's my 2 cents worth! :king:

I've heard that the B&M tends to accentuate the "notchiness" of the transmission, and some of that notchiness can be fixed by changing the tranny fluid to Redline. Even if I don't do it for the B&M, I'll have to change the tranny fluid eventually, so I'd like to know how it's done.

Tool Pants, that socket on the right that you call a triple square - is that just a Torx security socket? If not, where would I go about getting one of those? Does Craftsman make one?

• Moderators

Do not use a torx bit. Triple square has 12 fine points and torx has 6 large points. The same bit is used by VW and Audi on some transmissions. If you look at the door striker you will see what a triple square looks like except it is not the security type. Never seen triple square at Sears.

I bought my Hazet bits from Samstag. Zdmak in Florida has less expensive versions of the same bits. http://www.zdmak.com/ Zdmak also has these tools on ebay - search under Porsche tools and you will find Zdmak and both bits.

You have to remove the triangle metal plate under the transmission to get to the drain plug. You know the old rule. You do not remove the drain plug until you know you can remove the fill plug. The oil level is 11mm below the filler opening. You measure it with a Porsche special tool - a bent coat hanger. Torque for both plugs is 18 foot pounds. Jeff

FWIW, I just replaced the Manual Trans fluid yesterday on my '99 996. I did not have the triple square drain or fill plug. They were just regular 10mm hex bit holes. Might want to check yours...

After proping the car up on safety stands, I conected a hose to the hole after draining the trans. Then I secured the hose to the fender using "racers' tape" and then used a workbench chair to hold the end of the hose up. Connected the Mobil 1 bottle to the hose end and let gravity do the work. I actually made a small hole at the bottom of the bottle (now on top) to let the bottle "burp" air.

Took about 10 minutes per bottle. Specs call for 2.85 quarts (2 quarts + ~ 28 oz.) I temporarely plugged the hole in one of the bottles and measured 28oz from the last bottle and dumped into it. I wanted to save the last 4 oz in a non-holed bottled.

Took about 40 minutes to complete. Biggest pain was waiting for fluid to drain. My fluid was really black (51K miles) Good Luck! Lou

Now, I'm a strong believer in preventive maintenance and my philosophy is, "Don't fix nothing that's not broken!"

Those two phrases are exclusive of each other. Preventive maintenence is defined as fixing things before they break. ;)

-Paul