Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Would like to know if the CDR23 has a plug for rear speakers?? If it does, then all that needs to be done is to insert the wires!! If not, is it the same as the CDR220, and can be purchased from BECKER…

TIA

Mario

• Moderators

We filmed the rear speaker install. But it will not work on a CDR 23 with MOST and the factory amp. There is a plug in the back of the radio head for the rear speakers, but it does not work. Raman did put in the rear speaker kit in on his 2003 but he had to wire it to the amp in the front trunk to get the speakers to work. This is the hook up on a 220. Jeff

new_pictures_from_camera_126.sized.jpg

new_pictures_from_camera_128.sized.jpg

• Moderators

This is what I was told by Peter, who is the shop foreman at my local dealer, PCA tech advisor, Boxster owner, and if he does not know it then you have to ask Weissach.

The Most system is fiber optic loop or ring for the radio head, amp, and cd changer. The wires from the amp to the speakers are normal copper wires. I saw them on Raman's 2003. Raman hooked up the wires from the rear speaker kit directly to the amp. They work fine but he cannot fade the rear speakers as they are not controlled by the radio head. On the 1997-2002 we would hook up the rear speakers to the back of the radio head, but that will not work with MOST.

Think I'm going to have to borrow Peter's 2003 tech intro so I can read up on the MOST system. Jeff

03_boxster_tech_intro1.sized.jpg

:clapping: Thank you or the info. I am really unhappy with my CDR-23 system in my 2003. I really want rear speakers! A few more questiosn with reegards to the CDR-23. What is powering teh subs in the doors? The amp or the head unit? Can I buy the rear speker kit and wire it to the amp as you have suggested. I have been told that I can purchase the kit from Suncoast. When UI called them they aid it would not work on the '03 because of the MOST system. I am thoroughly confused. I just want MORE power and sound from the exisitng system.

Thanks everyone! Zin

Thank you all for your input.. At this point I can say that the CDR-23 HAS a plug, just needs wires, good, I think!! Now it seems like this has turned into numerous threaded topics. First is, what is MOST?? The second CDR-23 rear speakers hook up WITH OUT an extra amplifier (That's ME). And finally, CDR-23 rear speakers hook up WITH an extra amplifier. Since I do not know any of the systems talked about so far, I can only guess what is going on.. Regarding the rear speakers and the amplifier (OEM, yes!) not working, I would have to say that perhaps the CDR-23 was set to send it's out put to ONLY the amplifier or because the amplifier was hooded up, the CDR-23 defaults out put to the amplifier. I would venture a guess that the amplifier is for the door speakers!!! Again, something I do NOT have.. About the CDR-23 with out an extra amplifier, the CDR-23 has a plug, and has provisions to control balance, why put this on the CDR-23?? Why let cheap people like me get an CDR-23 with out door speakers and a extra amplifier?? Lastly, this MOST thing, if it is true that it is fiber optic system, then it would seem to me to require some type of conversion device to convert the optical single to one that can be used to drive a speaker. This converter would have to be at both ends, one at the radio/amp the other at the speakers. Is this what is happening at the door speaks, the dash spankers?? Well, this is way too long, and I thank you if you have gotten this far…

Regards,

Mario

Copied this information from an earlier Post on Rennlist:

MOST (Media Oriented System Transport) is an optical bus which connects most all telematics in MY03 Porsches, MY03 Audi A8 and MY03 Mercedes Maybach and some S class cars. Details can be found here:www.mostnet.de/downloads/Specifications/ MOST%20Framework/framework1_1-07.pdfwww.oasis.com

In Porsche sportscars (986 and 996) the fiber optic cables connect the headunit (PCM) to the DSP amplifier to the phone to the CD changer.

Speakers are connected by Copper wires.

• Moderators

I'm the mechanical guy, not the electrical guy. There is good info on Rennlist from a guy who worked on the MOST system. You cannot just add components anymore. Someone raise your hand and take over the electrical stuff on this board. I think I will appoint Raman.

For Zin. The door speakers are powered by the amp. If you do not have the amp option then you do not get door speakers. The rear speaker kit is discontinued. Some dealers still have them sitting on the shelf. Any dealer can search the parts inventory of all the dealers, locate a kit on the shelf of another dealer, and have it sent to your dealer. There were only 20 kits last time I asked a month or so ago. There is a guy on ebay selling a kit he made with factory and aftermarket parts and it looks good to me.

Raman and I work on car together since we live in the same town. He has a 2003 w/o Bose. He bought the Porsche rear speaker kit PNA986KIT. When he pluged it into the back of the radio head there was no sound from the rear speakers. Then he hooked up the 4 wires from the rear speakers directly to the amp it worked. But, as I said, he cannot fade as the speakers are running directly off the amp.

When Raman gets back in town I will ask him to explain how he did it. This pic is Raman's amp. I wish now I had taken a picture of the rear speaker wires to the amp. Jeff

03_amp_raman.sized.jpg

The lack of the ability to fade is a big deal. I installed the PNA986KIT in my 02 and, at full output to the rear speakers, it sounded terrible. I settled on a nice balance where the rears are at "3". Maybe you could install some type of switch in between the speakers and the amp that would allow you to adjust the sound to the rears. I'm no electrical expert either, so this is just a suggestion.