Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone seen this local 996

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators
Is that really a TRG car?  I would think they would do a better job on it than that.  Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but a GT3 cup car it ain't.

This is a poser car simple as that, and it has the most obnoxious exhaust system I have ever heard. I'm sure it is great for the track, but not for the street. From what I understand the owner spun a bearing and trashed the motor, but lacks the deep pockets necessary to initiate the repair.

No doubt on the poser. I mean come on, he had GTC3 not GT3C on the front bumper in one shot and GT3R on another? I am confused. Same car? Not to mention the only aero part he has is the front dam. I can't belive TRG would be happy with him creating a 1/2 a** car to be believed as a TRG club racing cup car.

I think I'm missing the joke. It looks like a perfectly valid GT3R club racer to me. Not the Porsche GT3R model, the PCA club racing class. It's for 2.8 to 3.4L cars built to GT specs and running slicks. On DOT tires it would be GT3S. I can't imagine that it would be competitive but who knows.

It does seem silly to have GT3 Cup decals but the the rest of the car looks pretty well done for that class. Lexan windows, cup wing, etc.

BTW, my race car's exhaust system is six inches long. Straight from the header out the back. It probably doesn't sound that great either but I gained 13 hp when I did it. :)

Jim

My, my y'all are a little harsh on this guy. Looks like a descent CR car to me. BTW, there really is no such thing as a 'club race cup car' anyway. A true cup car competes in a cup series, Camel, IMSA, SCCA etc. Porsche club racing has many classes that have such abbreviations as do other looser sactioning bodies guys. He probably runs it in several events under different organizations, I did it all the time when I was racing.A highly modified CR car does not a cup car make. Listen to Jim, he knows what he's talking about. Loosen up guys it's Friday.

Surgeon,

Actually there are specific classes for cup cars in PCA. GTC3 is the class for 996 cup cars. There are also classes for 993 and 964 cup cars as well as super cup 996s and R,RS, RSR.

This car could be a 99 996 cup car. They weren't much different than a stock 996. They even had the clam shell rear wing like the stock cars. Nothing like the later cup cars. I really don't know though. I've only seen one and didn't pay that much attention. It would explain the decals and GTC3 class.

Jim

• Moderators

It is just a standard 1999 C4 that has been modified. It was back inside the shop this Saturday because the car cannot be locked.

Hope he wins the lottery so he can buy another engine. His old engine is toast and cannot be used as a core credit.

post-4-1122169518_thumb.jpg

Jim, I know the classes you're refering to, my point is that there are many classes where an old cup car could be fit into, or filtered down so to speak. As opposed to buying a '05 997 cup car specifically for PCR, just my take I could be wrong, but I think those cars are being built/researched to hunt bigger game by PAG (ie, the major cup series').

This guys car is what we use to run and call sportsman class cars in the south/lower midwest, nuthin' wrong with that!

Chris

Surgeon,

I see what you mean. For the most part you are right. Most cup cars in club racing are hand me downs from other "pro" series where they buy new cars every year of two. There are, however, several new cars running in PCA every year. Check out the recent Putnam race on MyLaps.com and you will see a 2005 cup car in group 1. You'll also see a very fast 996 in group 2. :) (just kidding)

Dell,

I just don't get the poser title. If the guy was racing the car then he's a racer not a poser. If he blew it up he's a racer without a car. There are lot's of those around. All club racers decorate their cars in some way. I've chosen to make mine pretty subtle but others plaster their company name all over the car. Others chose to mimic a favorite pro car. Especially if it's historic. Others like to put the names of the companies whose products they use on the car. Moton, Olin, Hoosier, etc. I don't know this guy but if he's a racer and his only sins are that he can't afford a new engine right now and he plastered some decals on the car then he's in pretty good company in club racing.

Now, if this is his street car, I'm with you all the way. From the pics it looks like a very well prepared car though.

Jim