Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Name that part challenge

Well, my Porsche let me down again, big time.  A little backstory, I have a 2002 Porsche 996 C4S, Tiptronic.  Shortly after I purchased it in 2018, at around 75K miles the engine failed. Specifically one of the intake valve seats on Cylinder 3 dropped, broke in 2 pieces and caused all sort of damage. I considered my options with a local Porsche shop and decided to get a new shortblock from Porsche and a used cylinder head for bank 1. The cylinder head on bank 2 was sent to the machine shop as well, and then the engine was put back together. Well, not about 15k miles later (very little driving during COVID), the car would give me a periodic misfire on cylinder 2 and/or 3, but it was intermittent and I tried to chase down a few things. Anyhow, my wife was driving the other day and a few miles from home she said the car started shaking and shut off. Well, I decided to do some diagnostic work and stuck a small camera into the intake manifold. Low and behold, the picture below is what I see in the bank 1 intake manifold (this is a few inches to the left of the throttle body, before the intake branches into each cylinder). Anybody want to take a guess as to what that is. Looks metal to me.  I will take out the spark plugs and do some more investigation into each cylinder when I get a chance, but thought I'd ask the experts here what I may be dealing with. Just FYI, the car is a tiptronic so it can't over-rev.

Debris in intake manifold.JPG