Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake pedal sticking

I had my car in for service to fix a squeaky clutch pedal (replaced spring). When I got the car back the brake pedal seems to be sticking. I'm not sure if the brake pedal has begun sticking or I'm imagining this because of the new feel of the clutch pedal. Anyone else feel a slight stiffness in rebound of the brake pedal after depressing. If so how do you solve this problem. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Hey Loren. I just spoke with the service manger. He told me the clutch and brake pedal are not on the same axle shaft. Somehow I don't believe him (or any dealers). Nevertheless, he said bring it in tomorrow morning

I know. These guys fouled up on a few things prior to this. I just brought the car back cause I bought the car at this particular dealer. Question for you...Is the clutch spring this diagram? And would the tech have to take off the entire clutch pedal to replace. Thanks!

• Admin
Is the clutch spring this diagram?
Clutch spring is item 9. There have been at least 2 or 3 (TSB) design changes over the years.

And would the tech have to take off the entire clutch pedal to replace.
Yes and no. If he followed the manual and TSB procedure then they are supposed to disassemble the shaft and check the bushings for wear - and replace them if needed. Then they are supposed to re-assemble it with Optimol grease. Also, according to the TSB there are several modifications that need to be done to fit a newer design clutch spring on an older car. They are to replace the clutch pedal if a 986 423 081 11 spring is used.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Loren, just throwing a question out there for you. Recently my car is having trouble with going into first and reverse gear as well as the clutch pedal virbarting on release. I do feel slipping too. I know the answer to this, but I want to be sure. Would any of the work that was done to replace the clutch spring have anything to do with this?

No signs of chatter or slipping at all. I thought I had a lot of life left on this clutch. I'm surprised, it just came out of nowhere. Not gradually, just bad feel all at once. Around 48K on the current clutch.

Loren I need a bit of guidance. Spoke to the assistant at the service desk; she told me I need a complete clutch, $1400 (after a test drive from the service tech). The car has not been taken apart. My question is, how do you know exactly what is going on when it hasn't been disassembled??? She told me that Porsche just replaces the complete clutch. I'm not buying that. Mind you the service manger (who also is the head technician) is on vacation. I have rapport with this man, and pretty much explains everything to me in detail and I assume makes the final decision in the situation. Very fair guy. Actually the assistant tried to charge me an hr of labor for diagnosing a problem (starter) in another service apt. and he overruled it, because this is covered under warranty. Plus the fact there's a guy filling in for him with a Honda shirt (I guess this dealer owns other dealers). Should I wait for the service manger to come back on Monday to break down the car and handle this situation?? Sorry for the long newbie questions; I'm just unsure. If any one has any input, please replay. Thanks for your time.

• Admin

Well, since you have a trust relationship with the service manager I think it makes sense to wait for him. I would also ask for an itemized quote up front.

Usually in a case where the clutch is "worn out" you would replace the clutch disc, the pressure plate (if it showed signs of scoring, or weak or broken springs), and perhaps the throw out bearing. In a few rare cases the flywheel could be damaged too.

If the clutch is just covered in oil (as in a bad RMS leak) you would likely replace the clutch disc and clean and inspect the other parts.

Since it is a lot of work to remove the transmission it is wise to replace any questionable parts (IMHO).

I pretty much knew what you stated. I just needed reinforcement. I called back and the assistant retracted from everything she said. Let me add, it doesn't hurt to wait to Monday because I'm still waiting for my cat(s) (on order) and the rear CV joint boots are going to be replaced. So it makes since to do it all at once in regard to labor cost. Thanks for all your help and responses. I will be making a contribution when I get a chance. Great site. :cheers:

Bad news. Service manager say flywheel is glazed?!?! Need clutch and flywheel..Intially said $2500 with labor. He said he would check with parts manager to see if he could knock some off. Looks like I'll check with Sunset for parts. :( :(