Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Recommended fitment of Porsche spacers

Today I have been watching porsche web and I have seen:

BOXSTER

For wheels 18"

7.5J x 18 (50)

9J x 18 (52)

"Recommended fitment of Porsche Tequipment spacers:

5-mm spacers on all four wheels."

Two questions:

1. How I can know if my car has spacers? (don´t tell me removing wheels) :P

2. Why Porsche recommends it? Much difference? is it worth to spend money in spacers?

Regards.

No need to remove the wheels to check. Just look between the spokes where the wheel attaches to the hub/brake rotor. Without a spacer, the wheel will mount flush to the "hat" in the middle of the brake rotor. If there is a 5mm spacer, you will see the thin disc (less than 1/4") between the wheel and the rotor hat.

Porsche put 5mm spacers on the 550 special edition Boxsters. If you don't have one of those, you are not likely to have the spacers on the car. The increased track width may provide a very marginal improvement in handling. A lot of folks like to use larger spacers to improve the appearance by making the wheels flush with the fenders. Popular sizes are 14mm in the rear and 7mm in front.

If you add spacers, make sure you use longer bolts. The Porsche 5mm spacer kit comes with longer bolts which are distinguished by red sleeves at the top of the shaft.

No need to remove the wheels to check. Just look between the spokes where the wheel attaches to the hub/brake rotor. Without a spacer, the wheel will mount flush to the "hat" in the middle of the brake rotor.  If there is a 5mm spacer, you will see the thin disc (less than 1/4") between the wheel and the rotor hat.

Porsche put 5mm spacers on the 550 special edition Boxsters. If you don't have one of those, you are not likely to have the spacers on the car. The increased track width may provide a very marginal improvement in handling. A lot of folks like to use larger spacers to improve the appearance by making the wheels flush with the fenders. Popular sizes are 14mm in the rear and 7mm in front.

If you add spacers, make sure you use longer bolts. The Porsche 5mm spacer kit comes with longer bolts which are distinguished by red sleeves at the top of the shaft.

My wheels are sportclassic2 18" with that throat and et. Shall I buy spacers? I am not sure..

Sometimes when changing wheels, there is a clearance problem between the wheel and brake caliper...thus the need for spacers. Some use thicker spacers than needed to improve the looks....wheels filling out the fender well better.

Hope this helps Tony :drive:

It doesn't sound like you should worry about spacers. If you have the stock 7.5, 9" wide wheels with the stock 225, 265mm tires, the wheels will fit fine. The handling improvement from spacers would be *very* small. Unless you are trying to make the tires look more aggressive in the wheel wells, skip the spacers.

It doesn't sound like you should worry about spacers. If you have the stock 7.5, 9" wide wheels with the stock 225, 265mm tires, the wheels will fit fine. The handling improvement from spacers would be *very* small. Unless you are trying to make the tires look more aggressive in the wheel wells, skip the spacers.

5mm spacers dont cause very difference?... why Porsche recommends it?

5mm spacers dont cause very difference?... why Porsche recommends it?

A lot of folks like to use larger spacers to improve the appearance by making the wheels flush with the fenders. Popular sizes are 14mm in the rear and 7mm in front.

Any recommendations on where to purchase 7mm / 14mm spacers and bolts? Thanks!

Edited by Carlton Bale