Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Whisle noise C2- 1999

Folks, my car started to make a whisling noise. Here is when it happens:

1/ Over 30 miles / hour

2/ Independent from engine speed and /or clutch engaged or not

3/ louder when speed increases

4/ no change with or without a/c engaged

5/ No change when braking or not

6/ no change when turning

The sound is a medium pitched constant sound, almost as if a brake pad is touching the rotor but it does not change if I push the brakes. It does get louder when speed increases and is audible from within. Noiae doeas not seem to be louder outside the car ie driving with windows down does not increase the loudness of the sound.

Idea's??

HarryR

Folks, my car started to make a whisling noise. Here is when it happens:

1/ Over 30 miles / hour

2/ Independent from engine speed and /or clutch engaged or not

3/ louder when speed increases

4/ no change with or without a/c engaged

5/ No change when braking or not

6/ no change when turning

The sound is a medium pitched constant sound, almost as if a brake pad is touching the rotor but it does not change if I push the brakes. It does get louder when speed increases and is audible from within. Noiae doeas not seem to be louder outside the car ie driving with windows down does not increase the loudness of the sound.

Idea's??

HarryR

I can only speak from experience, but mine is the hood. Sounds like a high pitched squeal. It comes and goes, depending on something? I dont know, but my hood is up above the lip of the front bumper by about a .125 (maybe a little more). I was told to adjust the rubber bumpers inside the hood where it closes down. Try that and see if that helps. I put small towels in the groves in the front trunk to test and see if that was it, and it killed the whine... Basically my bumper is to low from when it was installed and my hood does not go below the lip.

Edited by c4bliss

I will try that one but I had the locking mechanism for the front deck lid replaced last year and my hood is flush. I will check that out. The sound is indeed a squealing sound but it sounds more as if it is coming from a friction like a brake pad having continuous contact with the rotor, it sounds definitely as if it is coming from the back. As I said, the car has to move, the volume increases somewhat from 30 miles onwards ( that's the speed at which I start hearing the sound), I have observed no leaks, or funny/burning/hot smells, no smoke of any kind and so I guess I will keep on driving until I figure out what it is or until something changes that lets me pinpoint the issue.

Thanks

HarryR