Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Storage-cupholder Installation Help

i had the unit installed but never use it. instead i put a cupholder on the drivers side door. it is not obtrusive and extremely funcitonal. the bird unit is not worth the money and is not that functional. it does give extra room for storage. i plan to remove it.

Need help with installation of a "Storage Armrest with Cupholder,"  manufactured by Bird Automotive.

The unit will be installed in a 1996 Carrera-996, Cabriolet.  Any experience or recommendations?

Need help with installation of a "Storage Armrest with Cupholder,"  manufactured by Bird Automotive.

The unit will be installed in a 1996 Carrera-996, Cabriolet.  Any experience or recommendations?

I followed the supplied directions, and had no problem at all. Took 30 minutes to an hour. The extra room comes in very handy with no glove box.

1996 996??

Kim

I also installed mine in a short amount of time using the directions.

It's 6 months later and I just completely removed the cupholder from it. To me, it's in the way when it's folded inside, and very much in the way when it's open and something is sitting in it. Plus, the additional storage is so deep that it's hard to reach into the bottom of it without wrenching yourself around in the seat to get into it. IMHO, it is way overpriced. All and all, I wouldn't purchase it again. YMMV

• 2 years later...

Hey all, I've been really interested in this Bird armrest, but find it very pricey for what it is (frankly, even with the $100 discount off the $500 price tag that Sam Bird is currently advertising). I wrote him to see if he'd consider selling it to me at $350 (still a little high IMHO), figuring that he's heard some complaints about the high listing. This is what he wrote me this morning:

"I've been making this product line for Porsche since 1985. Price then: $499 + $50. Sales: thousands per year. Your price today: $399 + $50. Our costs over 22 years: up 70%. Sales: hundreds per year. This is what you'd call a "mature" product line. Never dreamed it would be selling many years since patent expiration. We have retained quality and return rate below 1/2 of 1%. Outlook for future? Better buy soon."

Does this mean he's going out of business? I didn't love the tone of his email (it's as though he was offended I could imagine his product would be sold for less than $400). That aside, if I were Sam Bird, I wouldn't lower my prices when I'm selling more than I ever expected to. In fact, I'd raise my prices in order to maximize profits and reduce the number of units I had to produce to satisfy the market. Why would sales drop from thousands to hundreds of units when he the lowered the price to something more reasonable? It should be inversely proportional.

I wish he had a competitor I could buy from, but I'll probably just end up going back to him in the end and pay his inflated list price. It does look like a strong, functional interior mod.

• 2 years later...

I just bought one of these, and it looks like an extremely well-made item. For something that is made in the USA, I can actually understand the high price. Personally, I bought it to make the "oddments compartment" actually useful; it is so small I have a hard time getting my iPhone in there with a pack of gum! Also, an armrest for me is a big deal as I have rotator cuff injuries in my shoulders (I was a very aggressive skier in my 20s). I got the model with the cupholder as well, just because I figured, "why not?"

I should mention that I spoke to Sam on the phone, and he struck me as a very honest, forthright, and straightforward guy to deal with. For all of you that are wondering why these things cost so much, just remember that "American Made" might cost more, but it is usually better made, and keeps your hard-earned cash within your own country. So, I support Sam Bird wholeheartedly!

I'm going to install it this afternoon, most likely, so will let you know how it goes, and will also post some pictures.

• 2 months later...

Don't know if anyone will read this but I was fighting to find a good cupholder location for 2 years. Ended up cutting a round hole in my original arm rest (it was getting pretty dingy anyway). Covered the entire thin in alcantara and it works great. Of course I had never used the arm rest storage before anyway. If anyone wants a picture I can post.

I bought this in 2008 for my 99 boxster, wanted it for the higher arm rest, moved it to my 03 Boxster S and then to my 911. Spoke to Sam a few times and he always took the time and was very helpfull. Moving from car to car, lost a few parts, Sam sent new parts right away, no charge. Great product.