Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

There has been a lot of discussion of the relative merits of the Fabspeed mufflers vis a vis other aftermarket exhaust systems.

While I have participated in that discussion and concluded that the Fabspeed mufflers were too loud for me (00 C4 Cab), I do have a final issue to deal with and would like feedback.

My car had the Fabspeed headers on it along with the mufflers. I went back to stock exhaust but left the headers on the car.

What I notice is that the car has a very high pitch whine (whistle) between 2 and 3k RPM on the tach. No matter what gear I am in, the sound appears between 2 and 3.

I took the car to the dealer and the service manager listened to the car. The first thing he said was "Does this car have headers?" I told him and he said "well that is your 'problem' The headers do have this characteristic. Live with it or take it off and go back to your stock headers."

My question is, Do Fabspeed headers or any other for that matter have this characteristic high pitch sound issue? I could ask the guys at Fabspeed but thought I would throw it out there before asking them.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Bob

Exhaust design can have a big impact on system noises - like what you describe with the Fabspeed headers. Without listening to another owner with the same set up, you may be given a lot of advice that might not reference your exact predicament. The engines on the 996 do whine somewhat anyway, and maybe you should take a stock car for a test drive just to get a new reference point in terms of exhaust noises.

If you want total piece of mind in having the car sound completely normal, then maybe the stock headers/mufflers are the way to go.