Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New to 987S

Well just got a basic black 987S with grey interior, grey top, nice combo all in all. It's lightly optioned.

What I'm coming from: an E46 M3 converible. What a stark contrast the Box S is to that car. This is amazingly responsive. I realize the M has perfect 50/50 weight distribution, but the mid engine of the Boxster is just so much more planted. Also of course a coupe convertible is going to feel different from a roadster. Interestingly, the two cars are the same in length (~170 inches). But about 900 lbs difference in weight helps the Box feel faster than the M by far.

Overall I'm quite happy. Got a good deal on the 05 model too.

Congratulations and Welcome.

When I was test driving back in 02, the E46 M3 gave up a lot of performance as a convertible vs sedan - there is just no way to ignore the added weight - but what a beautiful car with a sweet sounding engine.

The 987S probably seems faster because you are closer to the ground with a smaller nose.

I chose a Boxster because I love curves - what brought you to the Porsche stable?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?  What was the sticker price? And what options?

Hmm, well I got less off than I had hoped, and there was a trade involved though where they gave me a stronger price on the trade than they should have. If you put 2+2 together, it comes out to about 10% off MSRP.

The car has:

692 - Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)

P15 - Power Seat Package

P74 - Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package

680 - Bose Surround Sound System

M6Z - Floor Mats Interior Color

342 - Heated Front Seats

P12 - Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor

C02 - U.S. Standard/Emissions

PPB - Preferred Package Plus

XPA - Thicker Steering Wheel-Leather

X70 - Metal Door Sill Model Insignia

XMK - Roll Bar Painted Exterior Clr

573 - Automatic Climate Control

446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest

Edited by tmc

Congratulations and Welcome.

When I was test driving back in 02, the E46 M3 gave up a lot of performance as a convertible vs sedan - there is just no way to ignore the added weight - but what a beautiful car with a sweet sounding engine.

The 987S probably seems faster because you are closer to the ground with a smaller nose.

I chose a Boxster because I love curves - what brought you to the Porsche stable?

It's very true that the M3cabrio is less impressive than the M3coupe. Nevertheless, I wanted the convertible. I'm in North Carolina. There are many good top-down days and a sun roof doesn't cut it. Yes the S54 engine is sweet, but the reliability issues (two recalls for very tight tolerance bearings) had me -- and a lot of other E46 M3 owners -- stressed. Guess Boxster S has its own engine issues, though.

I did want a roadster more. We settled on the M3 (my wife and I) because she insisted I get something with four seats in case I needed to take the kids somewhere. That being the case, I drove about 99% of the time with 3 seats empty, hauling them around town. I looked into lowering my car with new coil-overs, but decided that it just made sense to trade it while the value was still high (ie, before the next generation E90 came out).

I had always loved the look of the Boxster. I even almost bought one when my M3 was purchased (but again, the four seat issue came up). The 986's interior turned me off, though. It wasn't even close to the quality I had grown to expect from owning BMWs.

When it came time to decide to get a new car, I drove all the roadsters out there save two. I didn't drive the 350Z nor the SLK350. Neither of them were my style, and MB has this bad reliability thing going. They also seem to just keep on putting luxury over performance and making heavy cars. In retrospect, I should have tried an SLK too.

I almost got a Z4 3.0i. It would have kept me "in the family" (I'm a long time BMWCCA member). But although the car drove really well, I couldn't stand how it looked. Also the Boxster S drove better. I think it's that, even if you have perfect 50/50 weight balance (the Z4 does), having a mid engine means the mass is still right there in the middle as the pivot point. The 987S just plants itself around corners.

Now I'm getting into the Porsche thing perhaps a little too much. I informed my amused wife this morning that I'll drive the Toyota Tacoma whenever it rains so as to not soil the Boxster.

And for what it's worth, the Boxster S is faster by 0.2sec 0-60mph than the M3 convertible (5.2 vs. 5.4).

Interestingly, length wise, the S is just about the same length as the M3. The S is also apparently the longest roadster in its class. Weird.

tmc

. . .

Now I'm getting into the Porsche thing perhaps a little too much.  I informed my amused wife this morning that I'll drive the Toyota Tacoma whenever it rains so as to not soil the Boxster.

And for what it's worth, the Boxster S is faster by 0.2sec 0-60mph than the M3 convertible (5.2 vs. 5.4).

One difference I noticed between Porsche club and BMWCCA. When Porsche club wants to go to a car show, they try to meet up from the nearest 3 states and take a scenic drive to get there. When my local BMWCCA wants to go to the car show, they meet in a parking lot and take a bus to the big city.

I looked at the M3 convertible to 'keep it in the family', but I used to own a mid-engine X1/9 when my best friend owned a Lotus Europa. Once you develop a taste for a mid-engine everything else is 'also fun'. For me it boiled down to a Boxster S or a Ferrari 308/328 with 70s suspension technology.

My O2 S is only rated at 5.6s so I did have to give something up for my mid-engine .

. . .

Interestingly, length wise, the S is just about the same length as the M3.  The S is also apparently the longest roadster in its class.  Weird.

tmc

2 trunks has got to add a little length somewhere :rolleyes:

Just traded my 2002 M3 cab in on an 06 987S for the same reasons! Amazing difference between a true sports car and an interesting, comfy GT compromise. Was a BMW fan for years, but they're obviously taking the company away from the sporty to the sports-minded luxury.

Love the sound and feel of the 987, reminds me of my 98 993!