Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

To K&N or not to K&N

Today I finally removed the air box cover and checked the air filter. Found that it was rather dirty so before I replace it could you please advise me as to whether I should stay with the Porsche filter or go to a K&N?

I like and have used K&Ns extensively on my motorcycles and both my Audi and my Volvo but I want to make sure it's ok to also use one on my 996.

Thanks,

There are many opinions on the K&N style filter (oiled cotton) vs. the OEM paper element. Various papers have been written that the oiled cotton style allows a greater proportion of super fine grit to pass through the filter, as opposed to the OEM paper elements which seem to do a better job dealing with this fine grit. As for total airflow - one would have to assume that the factory did the job right with filter sizing and paper specification - which would ensure air flow that is more than adequate. Oiled cotton filters do seem to allow a little more induction noise on acceleration - and people in general seem to like that.

Oiled cotton is also able to impact the MAF sensor operation - and can cause CEL events if the cotton is over-oiled.

I have a K&N filter and have never had any issues with the MAF. Whether or not it allows more dust through I really can't say. Performance increase... not noticable. The only benefit is never having to replace the filter again, you can just clean it and reuse it. I think biggest difference is that when it gets dirty, the airflow is not reduced as much as a dirty OEM filter.

I agree...I've had my K&N for about a year now, and I haven't really noticed any performance differences. It did idle funny for about 3 minutes right after I installed it, but that is normal. I haven't had any problems. The nice thing about this filter is you can just take it out and clean it instead of buying new replacements.

I just changed to an oil/cotton filter (BMC), about 600 miles ago. About three days after installing the new air filter I went for a spirited drive through the canyons near my home, I did code a check engine light. Being quite sire that it was the new air filter, but wanting to be sure, I took the car to the dealer, who, after verifying that the code was indeed the MAF sensor, wanted to charge me $800 to replace the MAF, as well as install a new paper filter. I of course respectfully declined the opportunity for anal invasion, and just had them clear the code.

Since clearing the code, it has not returned; and I have been to three track events since, so something tells me that it is not going to come back on.

Initially, the oils in the K&N can be pulled into the throttle body, under hard acceleration, and accumulate on the MAF, leading to the check engine code. The code will automatically reset after a few days, or you can disconnect the battery to reset the system.

Performance wise, I think that a clean paper filter will offer similar performance, just a shorter life span. If you are good with maintainance, go paper, if not the K&N will be great.

Either way, enjoy your car!!!

-Sean

Today I finally removed the air box cover and checked the air filter. Found that it was rather dirty so before I replace it could you please advise me as to whether I should stay with the Porsche filter or go to a K&N?

I like and have used K&Ns extensively on my motorcycles and both my Audi and my Volvo but I want to make sure it's ok to also use one on my 996.

Thanks,