Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine or Exhaust Rattle...help needed.

I got a call from my dad today asking me if I could search some of the forums to try to diagnose a problem that just popped up with his C4S. There is a rattle coming from the rear end of the car, my dad thought it was the exhaust at first (jokingly blaming my installation skills of the PSE :) but it might be coming from the engine. He says it sounds like a pebble in a tin can and only occurs when be blips the throttle or take a right hand turn. There is no oil on the floor and the exhaust seems to be on there very securely. Has anyone experienced this problem or possibly know what it could be?

Thanks for the advice.

A4EP

2002 C4S, SG/BLK - 6-speed, Heir

I may know exactly what this rattle is.

On some 911 C4S coupes, the brackets that hold the exhaust pipes break or loosen over time and make the rattle noise your now hearing. Your dealer will be able to fix this very quickly under warranty.

When you get about 5K to 8K miles on your C4S, this might start to show-up.

Take it to your dealer and they will either tighten the brackets or weld them together.

Although this noise is annoying, it does not harm the engine or your exhust system.

I hope this helps,

Mark

Mark, very interesting. The car is at just under 8k miles so it is in the range. Which brackets are you talking about? Having installed the PSE I hope I didn't overtorque anything now. Is it the braket that holds the main part of the exhaust on or just the small bracket that holds the exhaust tips on to the exhaust pipe itself?

I can just see it now, if it is the install I will never live this down :) Please let it be the engine, please please please :) :) :)

A4EP

• 2 weeks later...

The following two part numbers were ordered by my dealer.

They solved the problem completely.

FP-NUMBER DESC

996-111-352-02 Exhaust Pipe

996-111-351-02 Exhaust Pipe

Ignore the description given by Porsche. These part numbers are not really a pipe. They are new pipe brackets that replace what you currently got.

I hope this helps,

Mark