Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch grinding noise

Many 99's had a problem with the clutch release lever making noise as well as causgin intermitant clutch engaging problems. Yours sounds like the throwout bearing is going which will make a grinding noise as you press the pedal towards the floor. In either case, if you replace the clutch, make sure you also have the latest release lever and associated hardware installed. It adds about $40 to the job.

Hey can you tell me more about this 99 clutch engagement problem, mine engages inconsistently. I have had this problem for some time now and they have replaced the slave but it still exists PLEASE tell me more. Also I notice the clutch level if depressed 1/3 has sideways movement normal?

Hey can you tell me more about this 99 clutch engagement problem, mine engages inconsistently. I have had this problem for some time now and they have replaced the slave but it still exists PLEASE tell me more. Also I notice the clutch level if depressed 1/3 has sideways movement normal?

A TSB was issued regarding noise in the clutch system. The noises can occur in the area of the clutch release collar. The clutch release lever has been modified to eliminate the noise. The release lever along with the other listed parts must be replaced. The modified release lever was installed in production on April 19, 2000. Porsche does not address the physical problems this bad release lever causes, but when I took mine out, the dimple that the piston from the slave cylinder sits in to push the lever, was oblong and worn. This allowed the piston to move around in the dimple causing erratic clutch pedal position Pedal would sometime engage clutch at a low point and sometimes at a high point.

Also, if you want to eliminate any pedal caused syptoms and really feel the clutch assembly, remove the clutch spring from the pedal assembly. This will eliminate all assitance when pressing the clutch and allow you to only feel the movement of the clutch, pressure plates, etc. The design of the clutch spring can cause an abrupt jump in the pedal, especially towards the top of the stroke. You can even drive without the spring if you want. The clutch will be more consistant and smooth. Your leg will just get tired sooner.

Make sure you secure the boost spring with a nail or cotter pin through the bore at the end of the spring housing . This will prevent the spring from popping out of the housing.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

cool about the different release arm. You have identified the problems I have had since installation of the new clutch! I have complained and coomplained and complained. What do I get oh, it's normal. I also have the secondary wierd clutch jump thing exactly at the top of the stoke it really pisses me off!!! Is this what you have done with your car? I don't exactly get what you're saying with the removal of the spring. Are you suggesting to remove the clutch spring at the pedal, or compress it with tie straps or something? would you happen to have that part number for the release arm and or an idea of cost? Since I have been complaining about this very issue and there is a tsb out about it, would it be possible somehow to present it so I don't incur the likely great cost of labor??? Thanks very much I would love to have my clutch become predicatable again. :)

I have had the clutch replaced and complained about it. The idiots told me that they put something in backwards initially!!! it would be ok for about a week then be bad again and has always been this way since. I would bet that this is the problem.

I have had the clutch replaced and complained about it. The idiots told me that they put something in backwards initially!!! it would be ok for about a week then be bad again and has always been this way since. I would bet that this is the problem.

As I said in my email to you, I just had my clutch replaced (1 month ago) by Euroquip in St Charles Illinois. I highly recommend them. I had never used them for anything but thoughtt I would have them do the clutch because they work on both BMW and Porsche, which I own and I wanted to establish a relationship with someone. Well, they did the job at a very reasonable price, but I had the same problems as you did. I bleed the system, adjusted the pedal, kicked the tires, and still couldn't get the clutch to be consistent. I concluded it had to be inside the bellhousing.

Went back to Euroquip and explained the problem and they agreed that it must be inside somewhere. They looked at the clutch related TSB's from Porsche and immediately determined that the problems was with the release lever. Without even asking them, they said that they should have been aware of the TSB and they completely redid the job, replacing the necessary parts with no cost to me except the $50 in additional parts for the lever, etc.

These guys treated me like I was king and, obviously I will bring all my cars to them inthe future when I need service. Tell this story to your mechanic and see what they say.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

My 99 C2 had a similar problem a few months after I bought it new in Aug 99. I got underneath the car and found that the noise was coming from inside the bell housing but it took three round trips of 80 km to the delear before they finally removed the gearbox and fixed the problem. Not sure if they replaced a part or just lubricated the throw out mechanism but 5 years later it's still ok. It sounded and felt like a lack of lubrication on the throw out mechanism but resulted in a very noisy and notchy cluth movement.

Just for the record they forgot to re install various brackets and pipe clamps removed when the box came out which I found on a subsequent trip under the car.

High labour charges and sloppy work seems to be the case around the world with Porsche dealers.