Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New to the Boxster

I rented this car while in NY for use in a my best friend's wedding.

From the time I sat in the car, it just fit me perfectly. I was amazed by the handling and how I felt in the car. I the 2 days I had the car, I felt like I had been with it for two years.

Well, I was sad to give up the key when I left, and so started a search for one of my own. And I think I may have found one that I will purchase by the end of the month. :clapping:

But as with all vehicles, there is always those little things to watch for. I haven't yet purchased the car and have the option to still back out if I find something really disturbing.

So in your 987 experience, if you were looking for something wrong, what would you look for? What are some of the things to look for that indicate future or past problems? Any opinions appreciated. :cheers:

I rented this car while in NY for use in a my best friend's wedding. 

From the time I sat in the car, it just fit me perfectly.  I was amazed by the handling and how I felt in the car.  I the 2 days I had the car, I felt like I had been with it for two years. 

Well, I was sad to give up the key when I left, and so started a search for one of my own.  And I think I may have found one that I will purchase by the end of the month.  :clapping:

But as with all vehicles, there is always those little things to watch for.  I haven't yet purchased the car and have the option to still back out if I find something really disturbing.

So in your 987 experience, if you were looking for something wrong, what would you look for?  What are some of the things to look for that indicate future or past problems?  Any opinions appreciated.  :cheers:

Hi and welcome! :welcome:

So, you're in the market for a Boxster? Are you talking about the 986 or 987 Boxster? New or Used? One thing to watch on both and it will happen, is a leaking Rear Main Seal. It's more of a cosmetic problem than anything else if you have it fixed right away. If you don't and it continues to leak heavily, you'll burn you clutch up in a standard shift car. On the plus side of a RMS, Porsche has come up with a better seal and supposedly will stop the leak for good. If you do go to change it out, buy a new clutch disk and have it put in for a peace of mind knowing you have a new clutch.

On 2003 and newer, Porsche decide to go with a fiber optic Bose stereo set up. It sounds superior compared to older cars but, you can't add anything extra to it because there is no auxiliary input in the system. I have had two problems in both of my Porsches (2003 986-sold 2003 996C4S-present) with the stereos. They would come on and freeze up and not reset. I fixed the problem by taking it out and unkinking the fiber optic harness behind the stereo making sure it has somewhat of a straight shot to the connector on the radio. Haven't had on problem since then.

Other than those two problems, it's a really well built reliable car.

Porsche, there is no substitute! :thumbup:

Edited by WARDHOG

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the reply. :D I picked up the car Weds and the only problem with it that I've found so far is the vents. But that seems to be common and is a warranty item. The dealer would've already fixed it but the parts are on backorder.

It's a 2005 Boxster with the Tip S transmission and 1700 miles. I love it except that I haven't quite figured out the front of the car yet and have already scraped the front twice when leaving parking lots here in CA. :cursing:

I live in Alabama, so starting today I'll be driving cross country with my new baby. :king:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Samir congrats! I am planning to order my 987 Boxster Tiptronic in Jan for April delivery.

Can you tell me what options you got on it?

Specifically, I am planning to simply get it with minimal option except metallic paint.

Now considering if I should get the 18" but a friend said I should get it stock in 17"... see how it feels for 3-6 months before moving up to 18".

I love to get the PASM and the Sport Chrono (mostly for looks...) but they really jack up the price of the car and putting those in, I might as well get an engine upgrade to Boxster S.

How do you find the response on the tiptronic system? Is it responsive and fast enough on shifting?

sorry wardhog, what does the RMS seal? What fluids leak out from that seal again? I would like to watch out on mine as well. Finally, what colour is your new ride Samir?

One friend had asked me to get it in non metallic yellow or black. I do like the image colour of Silver with black top and black interior.

Samir congrats! I am planning to order my 987 Boxster Tiptronic in Jan for April delivery.

Can you tell me what options you got on it?

Sure:

18" Boxster S Wheels

Tiptronic S

Heated Front Seats

Colored Wheel Crest

Bose + Windstop

Floor Mats Interior Color

Power Seat and Memory Pkg

Now considering if I should get the 18" but a friend said I should get it stock in 17"... see how it feels for 3-6 months before moving up to 18".

I love to get the PASM and the Sport Chrono (mostly for looks...) but they really jack up the price of the car and putting those in, I might as well get an engine upgrade to Boxster S.

How do you find the response on the tiptronic system? Is it responsive and fast enough on shifting?

I would go ahead and get the 18" wheels. The 17" do look they would be underrated for the sportiness of the car.

The tiptronic system is good, but I find the normal automatic setting is surprisingly smart. I rarely do use the tiptronic. The only thing I have to complain about is changing gears while cornering a lot. You have to hunt to find a button on a spinning steering wheel. I don't think paddles would've been any better.

...what does the RMS seal? What fluids leak out from that seal again? I would like to watch out on mine as well. Finally, what colour is your new ride Samir?

One friend had asked me to get it in non metallic yellow or black. I do like the image colour of Silver with black top and black interior.

RMS = Real Main Seal. A seal that is between the engine and transmission. I spoke to one of the local dealer techs for quite a while on the subject and why there can be a problem. Apparently the engine is made up of two different alloys that heat expand at different temperatures. Once they have been heat cycled correctly (like in the break-in period), they will heat expand together better. But if they are not heat cycled correctly during the break-in, there will be some variance and the seal will not be able to seal perfectly.

Mine is actually black with black top and interior. All black. But with the silver trimmings it's quite nice...I'm actually missing it right now. I think I'll go grab it for a spin today. :jump:

How's the breaking in coming along and what are you doing now on break-in procedure.

I am still thinking whether I should get it in Silver Black or Black on Black. Though I like Black on Terracotta but that option ain't worth it in my mind.

There's not much more I can do on the break-in procedure. The damage is done. But I'm always very gentile to my cars until they are properly warmed up and even then it is very infrequent that I drive any of them hard. I just passed 148k miles on my 1996 Galant. :eek:

If you want something sleek in a dark way, Black. But if you want the same effect in a brighter or more metallic way, Silver.