Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSE w/o switch - can it manually be turned off?

I have a beautiful new 996 that came with PSE installed without the switch or the electronics (in other words it is on all of the time).

I absolutely love the sound of the PSE, but unfortunately due to a medical condition I have called "hyperacusis" (which is an increased sensitivity to loud noises), the PSE is often too loud for me and I have to wear earplugs when driving.

As a result, I think I will eventually have to have the electronics and switch installed so I can turn PSE on and off. However, that will require a lot of labor and expense and I'm worried about creaks and rattles due to much of the interior having to be disassembled to install the switch.

While I'm deciding, I'm curious if there is a way to just manually disable the PSE directly on the exhast itself by closing the valve so that it is off all of the time? Given that PSE was installed without any electronics, is that even possible?

Thanks,

-- Longhorn911

The bypass valves in the PSE mufflers are controlled by electronics and a vacuum system, so I don't think there's any elegant way to move the valves from their normal (sport mode) position. Perhaps you can crawl under the car and manually move the valves and hold them in place with wire or something.

I have seen a post somewhere (here or on Rennlist) that talks about a PSE with the baffles welded open so I am sure you can do it. Either that or buy a stock muffler and seel the PSE on e-bay.

I bought a set of stock mufflers at a car boot sale (do they have those in the States) for GBP 50 - they were taken off an 02 C2. My PSE cost me GBP 40 to get fitted at a local independent - it is also a DIY if you can the car in the air.

Thanks as always, guys. This is a great forum!

Going back to stock is an option, but I'm still considering having the switch added.

Do you think my concerns about creaks and rattles after having the interior removed and reinstalled is valid or can it all be done and remain squeak and rattle free?

Thanks

Thanks as always, guys.  This is a great forum!

Going back to stock is an option, but I'm still considering having the switch added.

Do you think my concerns about creaks and rattles after having the interior removed and reinstalled is valid or can it all be done and remain squeak and rattle free?

Thanks

I had the full install done on my last Carrera, and believe me when I tell you that it caused a lot of interior noise!!! :censored: :cursing: