Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

987 triple lined soft top V. R171 Steel top, how much difference?

I know that it would be unfair to compare insulation and wind cutting ability as one is canvas and the other is steel top... how good is the triple lined improved canvas top against the elements?

What about durabilties? Can they go for a few years against sunlight and the elements without the need for replacements?

Definitely not gonna be as sturdy as the SLK's top but this is my only concern now. With the engine sitting behind me, it's gonna be loud but the top is really holding me back. I am afraid that after owning the SLK, this one will put me off after a week's driving... test drive ain't indicative

Also, just wondering... When you see so many cars like SLK and even Peugeot doing folding hardtops... I wonder how come Porsche never develops some sort of similar mechanism? Soft top must go and it's a matter of time so why doesn't Porsche comes out with something similar to SLK's for its funster boxster? It's a roadster afterall?

I know that it would be unfair to compare insulation and wind cutting ability as one is canvas and the other is steel top... how good is the triple lined improved canvas top against the elements?

What about durabilties? Can they go for a few years against sunlight and the elements without the need for replacements?

Definitely not gonna be as sturdy as the SLK's top but this is my only concern now. With the engine sitting behind me, it's gonna be loud but the top is really holding me back. I am afraid that after owning the SLK, this one will put me off after a week's driving... test drive ain't indicative

The 987 folding soft top is the best in the business. My car has both soft and hard top options. The hard-top is actually noisier than the soft top because, although the hard top reduces side window noise, it also reflects more engine noise into the cabin.Some people like that- I do! The soft top is very durable - my previous 986 boxster soft top was fine after 6 years, though it was garaged every day. The soft top should do well for at least 5 years under all conditions and should not cause any worry. You will never be sorry if you choose a soft-top boxster over an SLK. My reason for opting for a hard top ( which is lightweight aluminium, NOT steel) was to extend the life of the soft-top and for enhanced security for city parking. Also, the cabin has a more open feel and visibility is better. It has been mistaken for a Cayman!

Thanks and I truly hope I ain't gonna be making a mistake today. I am selling it off and making my order next tuesday. I am joining this forum for sure.

Yeah of course, my old lady said a few things about safety as she felt the hard top was more secure... besides that... I think everything else seems fine. I know that the 987's roof has been improved with a 3rd layer for the new 987.